A few question for VSGers who are at least 3 months post-op

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/17 4:56 pm, edited 8/12/18 5:49 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm beginning am meeting with my doctor in a few days to begin my journey back to health. I hope you can help me with a few questions....

1. How long after surgery did you return back to work?
  2. How long after surgery can you begin to workout with heavy weights, sets of sit-ups, and jogging?
  3. Is hair loss common with VSG?

Thanks so much!

Anita
on 1/2/17 5:12 pm

Hi Dave,

First of all, welcome to the beginning of a new and healthier you.

I'm just shy of 7 months post op so I can try to answer your questions......with some slight variations.

1)  I'm not working on a full time basis, so the answer I'll be able to give is a sorta-kinda answer. I work part time and it is not a strenuous position. I was able to go back to my job about 10 days after surgery and I was totally comfortable. I don't do any heavy lifting and if your position requires that, you must discuss it with your doctor. Also, I should mention that 5 months after my surgery, I turned 71, so this is something you need to keep in mind during your evaluation process.....if an "old lady" (only chronologically actually) can be ready to go back to work in about 10 days....how does that compare to your situation?

2) Having never worked out with weights of any kind, nor done sit ups .....nor do I jog, I am absolutely unable to answer this question.

3)  I had four bouts of general anesthesia in 10 months (knee surgery, endoscopy, lap-band removal and then VSG), so, yes, I lost a good bit of hair.....the loss has slowed down to basically nothing other than normal and it's growing back nicely.  I upped my Biotin which apparently is what helped.....I probably should have done so sooner, but different people tell me that it would have happened anyway....I'm not sure of the answer here and again, best to ask YOUR doctor.

All that said, I hope this helped you somewhat. Welcome to OH, welcome to this board and hopefully you'll get some really good answers from others. This is a great support group and you'll find answers to questions you didn't know you had!

Happy New Year!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/17 5:32 pm
Anita
on 1/2/17 6:36 pm

Thanks Dave.....actually, that photo was taken when I was a mere child of 66....I don't look much different these days (at least I don't think so) except it's winter here (like snowy days and cooooold temps), so that lovely tan is gone.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 1/2/17 5:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was back to my normal activities in about a week, if I had been working I would have felt good to do that in a week or two, depending on the work.  

My surgeon said nothing except walking for 6 weeks.  That's fairly common from what I read here.  

Yup.  Look up telogen effluvium.  Basically, when you do something, or a combination of things, that make your body think that it's dying, it stops wasting energy on hair growth.  It'll start back up again with the passage of time, so it's nothing to worry about.  (I shaved my head 6 weeks post-op to raise money for St. Baldricks, so it was never an issue for me!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/17 5:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Exactly what Gwen said.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 1/2/17 6:06 pm
  1. How long after surgery did you return back to work? Exactly 2 weeks.
  2. How long after surgery can you begin to workout with heavy weights, sets of sit-ups, and jogging? 6 week minimum. I had a hernia repair at the same time so it took a little longer to go full out.
  3. Is hair loss common with VSG? Yes, pretty common. The degree of loss really varies, and it will grow back. Looking back in hindsight, it was just a blip in the journey.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Stacy_WLS
on 1/2/17 7:33 pm

I was lucky to get 8 weeks short term disability.  My job required intense hours and travelvet.  I probably could have gone back at 2 weeks but I used my time on me and making the most of this process.  

Exercise - I started walking hours after surgery.  Started jogging 2 weeks after.  Hockey, yoga lifting etc. 6 weeks after.  Obviously listen to you doctor - I did exercise before surgery a fair amount.  

Hair - I lost a little but it wasn't really noticable.  I didn't take anything special just my multivitamin.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/3/17 2:50 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16
  1. How long after surgery did you return back to work? I took 2 weeks off then worked from home for 2 (long commute). I could have started work sooner at my desk job - possibly as early as a week.
  2. How long after surgery can you begin to workout with heavy weights, sets of sit-ups, and jogging? 6 weeks minimum.
  3. Is hair loss common with VSG? Apparently it is common, but I didn't really have any noticeable loss.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

ItsTimeNow99
on 1/3/17 2:53 am

Hi Dave.

1.  I took 2 weeks off from work.  I felt well enough to go back in a week since I work in an office, but needed signed clearance to come back to work. My surgeon's appt. was 2 weeks post-surgery.

2.  Every surgeon is different in what and when they clear you.  I could do no strenuous exercise until 8 wks post-op.  Walking, of course, started the day of surgery.

3.  I have had no signs of hair loss, although I've read many posts of those who do.

Best of luck and hope to see you back on the boards soon.

P.

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Most Active