Researching and considering VSG

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/22/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was out of work for two and a half weeks, but didn't really feel back to normal for a few months. (I work a desk job as a computer geek.)

The puree stage was gross, but it only lasted a week for me. It took about four weeks to reach the point where I could eat normal-ish food, and that's just a drop in the proverbial bucket of post-op life-- not worth considering, IMO.

VSG is the best thing I've ever done. I can maintain a normal-ish weight, do whatever physical activity I like, shop in the missy section of the clothing store, climb stairs without getting winded, sleep without a CPAP, the list goes on and on. I had a healthy pregnancy after my surgery and that wouldn't have happened at 285lb for sure, not to mention all the energy I have to chase my toddler around now!

My husband was hesitant at first and didn't really understand why I couldn't just "suck it up and do it on my own." Ultimately the fact that this was recommended by my doctors helped him come around to it, and with the way my life is now (compared to before), he's very glad I did it.

I was on lifting restriction for 6 weeks post-op. I didn't do any more strenuous exercise than walking for months-- I honestly felt like I'd been hit by a bus and was weak and exhausted for the first three months or so. But "normal" activity of working at the computer and whatnot, I was good for that after about three weeks. (Probably would've been sooner if I could take opiate pain meds, but I did the entire recovery on Advil, ew.)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 12/22/16 8:27 pm

How long before you returned to work? Exactly 2 weeks. I am an elementary school teacher. I avoided lifting and had my 5th graders help out with that until I healed.

How did you take to having to puree your food? I just ate stuff that was the correct consistency and didn't try to say puree a hamburger or something. 

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? OMG that is a hell yes!!!

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? Hubby at first was against it completely, as he was scared I wouldn't survive it. After a few days post op and it was obvious I was going to be Ok, he totally swtiched gears and 100% behind me. My kids were incredibly helpful as well.

How long before you were able to return to normal activity? I felt like wonder woman maybe 8 weeks into it and it only got better.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Vinasu
on 12/23/16 3:10 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

How long before you returned to work?

I had surgery on Wednesday. On Friday I worked from home, and I was back in my office on Monday. Keep in mind, though, that I'm an editor--I have a very sedentary job and I had no co-morbidities or complications.

How did you take to having to puree your food?

By the time I got to purees, I was so happy not to be on liquids that the two weeks flew by! Honestly, there are a lot of things that are tasty and interesting to eat that can be eaten as a puree.

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision?

Absolutely. I cannot articulate how happy I am to have had the surgery, how much better my life is now that I can spend more time living it.

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support?

My family (mother and siblings) were very much against the surgery and very vocal about their misgivings. To this day, they still make passive-aggressive barbs about it. They refuse to invite me when they go out to eat, and when they bring something home they'll bring something for everyone but me because "We don't know what you can eat, anyway." By the way, we all live together.

My husband has been great, though. When I was on liquids, he took me out to a romantic dinner...at a broth bar. He orders things I can eat at restaurants so we can split the entrees. Since I hate coffee, he only brings home sweets he knows I'd never eat (tiramisu, mocha ice cream, etc.). When he has a craving for something I really can't have, he goes out with his work buddies and eats it. He never brings junk home.

How long before you were able to return to normal activity?

The first two weeks I was really tired. By week 3, though, I was feeling good. I was certainly able to do just about anything except truly strenuous exercise. That waited until week 6.

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress