Give me 10 truths about VSG

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/13/16 1:45 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

1) I had reflux before surgery.  A hiatel hernia was corrected during surgery and I have not had reflux since surgery.

2) I do not dump though my surgeon says some people do.

3) I never vomited or had nausea.  I stuck to my surgeons eating plan 100%, and now can eat whatever I want without problems.

4) I did not lose hair.

5) Yes - many times over.  My knees and feet don't hurt anymore - I go to the gym and go Zumba.

6) BP went down as my weight went down.  Now on an extremely low dose of medication. High cholesterol down right away.  Sleep Apnea went away within a couple of months.  Pre-diabetes pretty much gone right away.

7) Right after surgery it took a couple of hours to drink an 11 oz protein drink.

8) No complications.

9) Ekg, upper GI series, blood pre-op (I think).

10) Best thing I have ever done for myself.  I love my sleeve!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

cappy11448
on 11/13/16 2:40 pm

1.  I've never had trouble with reflux.

2.  I've never had dumping, although I am careful to limit my carbs.

3.  I can eat small meals with no problem, and didn't vomit at all for well over a year after surgery.

4.  Yup.  Hair loss happens.  But it is temporary.  I lost hair from 3 to 7 months post op.  but at 8 months I had a healthy crop of new short hairs.  I was so happy to see them, that I didn't even mind that it made me look scruffy.  (smile) By 1 year out, my hair was returning to normal.  I found I needed to use a body building mouse for some months, but it all resolved.  Its a small price to pay for a new healthy body.

5.  Yes - big time.  when I travel I can take the strenuous tours and climb the steps, and keep up with the best of them.  It is wonderful!

6 I got rid of my cpap about a year after surgery. that was my only co-morbidity

7.  I can't remember

8.  No complications - very little pain, no problems.  It took a while to get accustomed to my new tummy.  It wasn't easy, but it was always manageable. 

9. I can't remember the names of the tests, but one was a check on the heart, once was an ex-ray of how the upper-GI track was working.  I already had a CPAP so I didn't have to do the respiration test. 

10.  I am so happy I had the surgery  I lost 225 pounds, and went from a BMI of 60 to a BMI of 24.  I am a normal weight, and I have been maintaining for about 2.5 years.  WLS is the best decision I ever made.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nikke2003
on 11/13/16 2:48 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
On November 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time, 2bthindiva wrote:

I am finish my last month of required diet. I have to choose between RNY or VSG. I have read RNY is better for diabetes, but I am not sure about that whole process. I know no one who has had or will admit to having wls to ask questions to , so you guys are the lucky ones! I have comorbidity and have limited mobility due to injury. 

1) Does everyone get reflux? I have no history of it.

2) Do you get dumping with VSG?

3) I have read that some people cannot eat  months after surgery or they will vomit.

4)Hair loss? Even if I eat all my required protein will I lose my hair? Does it grow back?

5)Did your mobility improve?

6)How long before your co-morbidities went into remission?

7)After surgery you can only eat or drink a little at a time. If a protein shake has 11 oz how long did it take you to drink it? Hours?

8)Any complications?

9) What pre-op testing was required?

10) Any regrets? either having WLS or the type you chose?

1) No. I have had no issues with reflux.

2) I have never experienced dumping.

3) I have never vomited either.

4) You will most likely lose hair. How much depends on the person... but there is little you can do to combat it - even getting in all of your protein.

5) Absolutely

6) Didn't have any.

7) I actually didn't have any issues with drinking after surgery. I could immediately drink water (didn't really need to sip) and a protein shake would take maybe 30 minutes.

8) None

9) I remember doing an EKG or something similar, an H pylori test, as well as bloodwork.

10) I have had absolutely zero regrets. My life has improved greatly from having had surgery. I have a second chance at living a long, healthy, and fulfilling life doing all of the things I had dreamed of doing. I highly recommend it.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

NYMom222
on 11/13/16 6:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

So you said you have to decide between RNY and sleeve. Have you asked this question on the RNY Board?

I will say many of the questions will have the same answer for both surgeries.

Diabetes is a major reason to get RNY. A large percentage of people leave the hospital off their meds or greatly reduced and most are off within a few months. (Type 2 Diabetes). I have one woman in my support group who has type1 with an insulin pump, and while she will never totally be off her insulin is greatly reduced. I don't think they 100% understand the mechanism as to why this happens but it does. My understanding with the sleeve your diabetes improves just like anyone else without surgery-because you lose weight and are hopefully making healthier choices.

Hair Loss can be with any surgery even non-WLS.

Even with RNY patients they say only 30% dump... you don't dump if you are eating the right foods.

I had RNY, and didn't really consider the sleeve because I knew I was at a point in my life when even when I faithfully restricted my diet I couldn't lose more than 10lbs. I was afraid restriction alone wouldn't be enough. Even though malabsorption may not last forever I wanted the advantage of it to get me on my way... I had a lot to lose. #noregrets

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gwen M.
on 11/13/16 7:07 pm
VSG on 03/13/14
  1. Nope.  Not everyone does.  
  2. Anyone can dump - regardless of whether they've had WLS or not.  
  3. This is unusual and a person in this situation should be working with their surgeon because this is NOT NORMAL.  
  4. It's likely that you will lose hair.  When you have major surgery, or an extreme caloric deficit, your body decides it's dying and stops wasting energy on useless things - like hair growth.  This is called Telogen Effluvium and it'll happen if it's going to happen.  It will grow back once the "trauma" stops.
  5. Yup.  
  6. I didn't really have any so.. non-issue.  
  7. I never had a problem with drinking.  I could do 8 ounces in 1-2 hours even immediately post-op.  
  8. I had a weird issue around month three - my restriction increased significantly.  My surgeon had me go back to liquids for two days, purees for two days, and soft foods for two days and I took an anti-spasmodic for 1-2 weeks.  Never had a problem since.  
  9. EKG, psych eval, some blood work... I think that was it?  
  10. Zero regrets.  My life is amazing and I'm so grateful.   

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anita
on 11/13/16 8:10 pm

Great questions and some really super answers.

I can answer for myself and hopefully among all these wonderful posts, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do. Best of everything in your journey!

1) Does everyone get reflux? I have no history of it. I had reflux prior to surgery because I had a nasty hiatal hernia. It was repaired when my vsg surgery was done. I was on daily Nexium for the first 3 months and now I take it about every third day. No reflux unless I drink too much Diet Snapple...for some reason that's what sets me off.

2) Do you get dumping with VSG? I don't know about anyone else, but it isn't a problem for me.

3) I have read that some people cannot eat  months after surgery or they will vomit. I've only vomited once and that was when I didn't listen to my stomach and I took that one "extra" bite....bad move.....and learned my lesson. Once I moved to purees and beyond, I took things slow and have had no problems.

4)Hair loss? Even if I eat all my required protein will I lose my hair? Does it grow back? I had general anesthesia four times in 10 months (vsg surgery was the last - June 6, 2016) and even though I was getting in all my protein and taking some extra Biotin, I started losing hair around the 3 month mark. I started to freak out and this board gave me the comfort of knowing that I wasn't alone. I spoke with my doctor, upped my Biotin and the hair loss has almost stopped.....and my hair is growing back. I guess people react differently as I've heard of some who have not had this problem. Rest assured though, if you do lose hair, it'll come back, and you won't lose it all.

5)Did your mobility improve? Yes......I had a torn meniscus which was repaired last August (that was the first general anesthesia) - my knee was fine, but stairs were sometimes difficult and a little painful....and it was difficult to breathe after climbing stairs. NO MORE......I'm down 48 pounds and I feel terrific....no knee issues and breathing is fine even if I run up the stairs...okay, I'm 71, I don't actually run up the stairs, but I can go much faster than before.

6)How long before your co-morbidities went into remission? I can't answer this as I really didn't have any.

7)After surgery you can only eat or drink a little at a time. If a protein shake has 11 oz how long did it take you to drink it? Hours? This may sound silly....I can't remember. I know that I took my time and sipped small amounts over the course of an hour or so. As the others have said, I just kept sipping fluids and protein drinks so that I never got dehydrated. Don't let this worry you, it's not as difficult as it may seem as long as you take your time and track what you take in.

8)Any complications? For me, none.

9) What pre-op testing was required? Blood tests, chest x-ray, endoscopy (for the hiatal hernia), sonogram, stress test, ekg (remember, I'm 71...well, I was a kid of 70 when I had the surgery). I don't remember if there were any other tests, but it seems each doctor has different requirements....these are pretty much basic as far as I know.

10) Any regrets? either having WLS or the type you chose? I had a lap band in 2006....did well for a long time, but things happened and it just wasn't working for me anymore....add the hiatal hernia, and it became problematic. I've had no problems with this surgery and it's working very well for me. I'm very happy with the choice I've made.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

mmsmom
on 11/14/16 7:12 am - Woburn, MA
  1.  not sure, I do
  2. yes...people will say no, but for those of us who get it - it's real and whether it's technically dumping - it's very close. (i only get with sugar or high fat foods, which I really shouldn't be eating)
  3. not the case for me
  4. some, but it came back
  5. very much
  6. didn't have any
  7. don't remember
  8. nope
  9. alot
  10. none, I LOVE my sleeve

VSG on 04/28/2014

Bufflehead
on 11/14/16 8:45 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

No. Many people do get it, but I was lucky and did not.

A small minority of people do, I did not.

3) I have read that some people cannot eat  months after surgery or they will vomit.

I haven't read that and it certainly wasn't true for me. I haven't thrown up once since surgery and trust me, I eat. I am over 3 years post-op.

4)Hair loss? Even if I eat all my required protein will I lose my hair? Does it grow back?

Probably, yes, and yes.

Yes, tremendously.

The only true co-morbidity I had was high blood pressure, and my blood pressure went into the normal range before I left the hospital after surgery.

7)After surgery you can only eat or drink a little at a time. If a protein shake has 11 oz how long did it take you to drink it? Hours?

Immediately after surgery, when I had a lot of post-op swelling and traumatized tissues, I would take an 8 ounce shake, split it in two, and put half in the fridge for later. The half I kept out I would sip slowly and drink over the course of about 30 minutes. Of course this is no longer true and I can easily drink a protein shake in a couple of minutes if I am so inclined now.

8)Any complications?

Nope :)

H. Pylori test, upper GI, psychology visit and assessment. Immediately pre-op, I had to do all the standard stuff: chest x-ray, EKG, blood pressure, general bloodwork.

None whatsoever.

Coppergirl
on 11/14/16 9:20 am

1- No. Did not have before have not had since

2- No. But I have been very careful to avoid high carb/sugar food

3-I have had no problem eating. I followed my diet very carefully. My daughter has some vomiting. She is about 6 weeks out, but she has a small hematoma inside her surgery spot.

4- I have not had any hair loss at 2 1/2 months out. I eat very high protein, take biotin and zinc, and use a special shampoo.

5- I have mobility issues from a previous C-1 break. I am seeing improvement. It is slow but seems to be steady

6- Blood sugar and blood pressure improved with in six weeks. Off of 2 meds.

7- For the first two weeks only drank 4-6 ozs of a protein shake per day. By week three could finish one in maybe an hour. But, drank much more of water and sugar free powerade. Sip, sip, sip!!

8-No

9-GERD, Labs, psych eval

10-WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG????? 

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

stacyrg
on 11/14/16 12:05 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had no history of reflux prior to my VSG.  I developed severe reflux about 8 months post surgery that was non-responsive to medication.  I converted to RNY on 7/1/16

I did not.  When I had my sleeve I had no problem with any foods.  I have not "dumped" since my conversion to RNY but I do react to sugar (such as in fruit.  I have not had refined sugar since my conversion).  My heart will pound like it's trying to escape my chest and it is difficult to take deep breaths.  My surgeon told me this reaction will mellow with time.

3) I have read that some people cannot eat months after surgery or they will vomit.

I did not.  I did not vomit one time in the 2 years and 2 months I had my sleeve

I lost hair beginning at 3 months.  I lost about 1/3 of my volume.  There is no direct correlation between protein consumption and hair loss as others have stated.  I reached my protein goals early on.  I converted to RNY 4 months and 2 weeks ago and began to lose hair again at the 4 month mark.  I'm hoping it grows back again.

I did not have mobility issues prior to surgery.

I had high blood pressure that resolved immediately after my VSG

I could drink 11 oz in about 45-50 minutes relatively quickly after surgery.  I can now drink a protein shake in minutes.  I'm currently drinking a 30oz glass of water and it will take me about 15 minutes to finish, if I don't get distracted by work.

8)Any complications?

Other than developing GERD/Reflux, none.

Psych clearance, Blood work and an endoscopy.

None at all.  I loved my sleeve when I had it (except it tried to kill me with acid).  I lost 130 lbs.  I'm just as happy with my RNY although I do have slightly more issues with food (this is because I had zero with my sleeve)