need to get back on track after birth of baby

traumajunkie
on 10/28/16 5:26 pm

I delivered 6 weeks ago. I have 50 lbs to shed. I will be two years out in March. during my pregnancy I ate like crap and now I regret it. I feel like I don't have the same restriction as I did pre-pregnancy. I need help getting back on track. I am not a happy camper being 50 lbs heavier. help!

Rachel B.
on 10/28/16 7:22 pm, edited 10/28/16 12:23 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I'm getting my tool back in shape right now too, but not from baby!  I started by getting back to basics, like a post-surg diet, and increasing water and exercise.  The hard part has been detoxing from sugars and carbs, and not snacking.  I've been able to keep it up consistently for 12 days now.  I've lost around 8lbs, so I'm cool with that.  It just takes the effort to get started again, at least for me.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

missc_26
on 10/28/16 9:24 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi

First of all congratulations on the safe arrival of your baby!

I haven't experienced what you are going thru so I will leave the advice to others but I did want to say you CAN get back on track and wish you all the best :)

cappy11448
on 10/29/16 5:24 am

Congratulations on your new family addition! 

I doubt you damaged your sleeve.  I suspect if you get your mind in the right place, you'll find that the restriction is still working for you.

Here's my suggestion on how to start:

1. Cut the carbs.  take the leap and give up all the junk food.  Don't worry about calories the first few days.  But eat only dense protein and low-carb veggies.  It takes 2 or 3 days to get over the carb cravings, and then you can cut the calories and get back on track.
  2. Weigh, measure and log everything you eat.  This really helps me, as I am an expert on fooling myself on how many calories I'm getting.
  3. Fill the house with tasty, low carb, low calorie foods.  There are lots of recipes on the internet and on the recipe forum on this site that are really enjoyable, and healthy.
  4. Go back to basics - eat dense protein first, and then fill up on healthy veggies.  The restriction only works for us when we eat the dense protein first to close the pyloric valve at the base of the stomach.  See Frisco's posts on the Pyloric Valve. 
  5. Avoid grazing.  Don't drink your calories.  Avoid liquids close to meals.  You know all the rules.  You've done this before

I know you will succeed if you can break the carb monster's grip on your eating.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

AK_Gipson
on 10/29/16 6:50 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Great advice! I am working on Reloosing my 27 pound weight gain, down 8.5 pounds. 

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

itsgotogo
on 11/13/16 4:16 am

I have been off track and in hiding for almost two years since I lost my mother, separated from my husband and going through a divorce. I have gained 25 pounds and that compounds my anxiety and depression! Today I decided to snap out of it! I am going to get back on track and am so happy to have the advice of this group!  

Reading this exchange on how to get back to basics is so encouraging! Thank you!

AK_Gipson
on 11/13/16 5:20 am
VSG on 04/14/14

back to basic's is hard. But not as hard as what you've been going through. Think protein first, drink more fluids, move more, less calories each day. Log and measure everything to make sure. Cuz 2 tablespoon of ranch dressing is NOT what I thought it was lol 

I think you need to take some time to focus on you. Not just weight wise. Make plans for the future. It doesnt have to be anything big. It can be something small. Gwen has focused on loving herself, whi*****ludes getting massages. One lady has went back to riding horses because it makes her happy... I've decided the gym is my happy place because I feel better when I get done, I feel proud of myself and that I can handle the day. 

Find something, writing, drawing, doing... That makes you feel happy :) 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9