Premier Protein Pudding?

Joshua H.
on 9/14/16 8:04 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Wondering if anyone has tried this.  If you are familiar with HMR, one of their recipes was to take the shake packets and mix with water and sugar free jello pudding.  I was going to do this with the Premier Protein shakes, but the FF/SF jello pudding adds 25 cal per serving, which isn't a lot, but it is also fairly empty calories from what I can tell...

...so, I took the premier protein and mixed them with unflavored gelatin to try and make 'pudding.'  It is still setting up in my fridge, but I'm not sure I have the gelatin to shake ratio right.  It's looks like it might be flan-y in texture and consistency.  Almost custard-y without the fat.  Just curious is anyone ever tried this and what their results were.

Bufflehead
on 9/14/16 8:38 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I don't think I ever tried that specific recipe, but I tried a couple of different ways to make "protein pudding." It was never quite right - the flavor was off, the texture was off. It was okay, but always a little disappointing and unsatisfying. So at some point I just stopped trying to make "healthy" or "protein" versions of the junky foods that got me fat, like cookies and pancakes and pudding. I know a lot of people love these sorts of foods and do well with them, but for me, I was much more satisfied and was eating much better when I was eating just regular healthy food rather than imitation junk food. But as I said, it's a completely individual thing, and lots of people really flourish with those high protein versions of old favorites.

I think mixing premier protein with unflavored gelatin is genius! If it works for you, fantastic. Check back in and let us know how it goes!

Joshua H.
on 9/14/16 8:46 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I totally agree with not making substitutes for the food that got me here in the first place.  I had many a discussion about how making oatmeal 'flour' to make snacks was outside of the spirit of WW.  I've never been a big pudding guy, I just remember on HMR it was a nice diversion from the monotony of shake after shake after shake.

Now, if you see me asking about how much rennet to add to the shake to make "Vanilla Mozzarella," then you'll know I've gone off the deep end.

Secrets224
on 9/14/16 10:43 am
VSG on 09/27/16

I just died laughing at your vanilla mozzarella comment. 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*

Secrets224
on 9/14/16 10:42 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Check out the recipes on the Premier Protein site where you add chia seeds to the premier protein shake, mix and let it set up overnight. It looks delicious. Haven't tried it, but seems simple enough. Premier Protein's recipe page has all kinds of cool easy recipes that I'd never think of on my own. :) 

Secrets224
on 9/14/16 10:46 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Oh and by the way, another treat that i really enjoyed was just pouring the ready-to-drink Premier Protein shakes into ice-pop molds and popping them in the freezer. The next day, i had what tasted like my very own frozen pudding pop. :) 

Joshua H.
on 9/14/16 10:53 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I had read this somewhere and totally forgot about it.  MIght have to try that.  

They had a new flavor (for me) at Costco over the weekend -- think it is strawberry/banana

Secrets224
on 9/14/16 12:53 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Yea, it doesn't add much to it, seems simple enough, not sure about the taste, but ive heard people rave over these chia seeds. I thought they were just to grow grass, LOL, but what do i know? Yes, they now have 5 flavors. Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberries & Cream, Banana and Caramel. I love the new Banana, but the Caramel is a bit too sweet and rich for me. 

jenorama
on 9/14/16 4:13 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

LOL HMR.  I did that program for something like 3 years.  I got so creative with that pudding.  Sometimes I kind of miss it.

Jen

Joshua H.
on 9/15/16 7:46 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

Back with an update.  It actually worked, sorta.  

Not enough gelatin -- I used 1 packet per 1.5 premier protein shakes.  Should have gone 1:1.  The consistency is like a loose tapioca, without the tapioca pearls.

There is also some gelatin clumping issues, which I can get around.  However, I am going to order some Ultra-Tex 3 (after I check the nutritional info) and try that.  You don't have to heat the shakes to use it.

Most Active
Recent Topics