Taste Buds have changed

Whatnow0621
on 9/5/16 5:28 pm

Is it normal to experience a change in taste?  It is one thing with water but now foods that I used to like taste weird. Am I imaging this? I seem to only be able to eat meat. Zucchini is fine but spinach makes me sick. Please tell me that someone else experienced this and that it passes. My surgery was 06 / 21. 

Anita
on 9/5/16 5:50 pm

Mine did also........starting to come back to normal.....of course I'm not eating some of the things that I "enjoyed" before surgery. Water tasted really strange for the first two months....still does on occasion. I have used Brita filtered water for years and had to switch to Poland Spring here at home (water in my town is yucky tasting) and every now and then even the Poland Spring has a strange taste to it.

As for foods......hard to tell as sometimes the foods I ate were fine and a few days later they were odd. Seems to be going away but I do have a really unpleasant taste in my mouth if I'm thirsty.

My surgery was a few weeks before yours (June 6). Hopefully some of the people who are ahead of us can give us both some better information. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

How are you doing? I'm down 36 pounds....slow, but steady and that's fine. As an older person, and because I've been unable to exercise (for two reasons.....I hurt my knee and I'm lazy.....knee is better now and it's time for me to get off my lazy butt and do something), it's been slower than for younger people......but as long as the scale keeps going in the right direction, I'm happy.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Whatnow0621
on 9/5/16 5:54 pm

It's been difficult for me. My doctor didn't fully prepare me for what happened after surgery but I am down 50 lbs since surgery and some of that is muscle loss because I can't stomach the protein shakes at all. 

Anita
on 9/5/16 5:58 pm

sorry to hear that.....about the protein shakes. I've just gotten Genepro Musclegen......it gives you 30 g of protein with one serving. My nutritionist seems to think it's a good option.......I haven't had it long enough to notice any difference. I put it in my shakes, but I understand you can put it into just about any liquid and it dissolves easily. Check it out on Amazon....that was the least expensive place I found it.

Either way...50 pounds is fabulous!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

MichelleWill
on 9/5/16 6:07 pm

Yeah, it seems to be pretty normal for a lot of people. So far I've only come across a few things that taste different, but I'm just now starting the "regular" phase of eating, so I'm sure there will be more.  The weirdest one is my favorite seasoning salt tastes very strange now. I don't hate it, but I don't love the taste anymore for sure. But I don't use it much at all anyway, so I don't care so much about it.  Roast beef repulses me right now. I hope that changes - it used to be my favorite.

Darcy G.
on 9/5/16 7:24 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I couldn't do water for three months, and it still has an astringent quality to it that makes it very difficult to get down. If I pu****er flavorings into it, it changes that quality somehow and I can drink it all day. Tea also does it. The surgeon explained it to me as something like a water softener, only without stripping the minerals and whatever out, changes something(I want to say osmolality, but I'm not sure that's the correct word) and makes it drinkable. He also assured me that it would eventually reverse. Fingers crossed.

Other tastes have changed for me, during the many months of nutritionist visits and after surgery, for instance: since cutting all refined sugar from my diet, I've never tasted a bitter piece of fruit. Before, I thought all oranges were super tart.

Post-op, I do have some texture issues with foods. If it's slimy? Not happening.

So, yup, changes are happening! But I don't have enough data to report results :)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

mmsmom
on 9/6/16 6:39 am - Woburn, MA

i lost my taste for coffee - which was great since we aren't supposed to have to caffeine, but it did come back...as did most others. 

VSG on 04/28/2014

Valerie G.
on 9/6/16 9:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That was me for almost 9 months.  I did get a love of cashews in exchange, and thankfully that never went away.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lisa F.
on 9/7/16 10:02 am
VSG on 06/06/16

My taste for foods definitely changed. Coffee tasted like metal to me, but I'm just getting back my taste for it (and I'm VERY happy about that). It took 3 months.

I think some of the foods are more about digestibility vs. taste. I love "lighter" types of protein like fish vs. meat which feels heavy now. I can taste foods more intensely now, which is wonderful since I'm not attracted to processed foods as much as whole foods. 

Good luck to you!

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active