Sugar cravings.

acbbrown
on 8/26/16 9:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

Is there something that happens at night emotionally that's going on? Stress, tired, boredom, loneliness? Take a look and see if you can identify anything. 

While my way may not sound very appealing, it's worked for me. I had a HUGE problem with sugar. It was my go to drug. I craved it and thought about it and obsessed about it. I personally had to make a decision to completely abstain from all added sugars (I call it recreational sugar - excludes natural sugars in fruit/dairy etc). It changed my life forever to do this. I'm going on 9 months of sugar free and the obsession and cravings have been lifted. Sometimes when I have issues going on, my brain lies to me and tells me something sweet would work to fix it. I drink some flavored water or coffee/tea first. If that doesn't work, I either call someone and talk or do some writing, read a book, take a bath, light some candles. I have built alternative coping mechanism to deal with those cravings. 

The more you resist the temptation the more empowered you will be to continue to keep resisting. The more coping skills you put in your tool box the better your life will be. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Steph Meat Hag
on 8/29/16 1:16 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I had to do the same thing.  I realized I was addicted to sugar and had to stop.  I don't personally believe that artificial sweetener is something I want to get into so products with those were no an option either.

I am here to say that cold turkey was the way to go.  After being away from all sugar except naturally occurring sugar I did decide that I could allow sugar in my coffee.  I used to be a habitual Starbucks super sweet coffee drinker and I now make my own 20oz coffee with 2oz milk and 1tsp of sugar.  It's nothin like what I used to have, I tried a drink of my Starbucks favorite a friend ordered and WOW I can't believe I drank that everyday. 

So this is my rule and it's not for everyone.  I do not eat artificial sweetened products because they cause me to crave sugary products more.  So no sugar free this or that works for me.  I just chose to stop the sugar madness by stopping it all together and only allowing natural sugar.  I do keep track of my food in MFP and sugar is one of those things that can ruin a good food day fast.  So it's kept in check by a teaspoon in my coffee each morning and the odd piece of fruit or in something like milk or yogurt.  

BTW I have found that a teaspoon of peanut butter (sweetest thing in my house) is a great way to stave off those late night sweet cravings.   

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Desertlady60
on 9/16/16 11:07 am

Thank you, for your support. I talked with my 

Nutritionist she suggest sugar free pudding. 

I bought chocolate and make a bowl. Next day I felt I ate to much of the pudding. I remember something my mother use to do. She was always healthy and fit. I went to a yard sale and bought small dessert glasses. She measured out dessert and pudding by 1/4 cup servings in this beautiful glasses. Cover them with plastic wrap. I am sorting all food by servings. I am hopeful to do better this coming month:)

Joshua H.
on 9/16/16 11:22 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I had (have) a real bad sugar addiction.  Couple years back I decided to quit soda and artificial sweeteners, cold turkey.  Over time I started allowing myself to have sweetened tea (not real southern sweet tea), but a bit of sugar in my tea.

That turned into full blown sugar addiction where I was going through 2 quarts of sugared drink a day plus candy if I had it.

I finally decided that I'd need to go back to artificial sweeteners about a month ago, and my need for sugar is very minimal anymore.  Almost magical how quickly I gave it up.

Desertlady60
on 9/16/16 11:42 am

Thank you for your support. Yes, I have a sugar addiction! I stopped Coke 30 days ago, now I drink flavored water less then 2 carb and tea sweetened with stevia. I am taking in all suggestions and modifying my diet as I go I see this month was not as successful as I hoped. I will be more focused and exercise more in the coming month:)

Most Active