Do you still get hungry after the surgery?

dimpleslya79
on 8/2/16 11:35 am
VSG on 08/09/16

After surgery I am supposed to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and then a puree diet for 4 weeks.  The MD keeps ensuring me that it will be a struggle just to get the 2 oz down at a time, but it is sooooo hard for me to imagine that 2 oz of food will truly fill me.

mmsmom
on 8/2/16 12:10 pm - Woburn, MA

There are some who write that they feel hunger.  I must have had alot of swelling because I had trouble getting in a mouthful or two of yogurt for weeks.  Also 2 years out, if distracted, I truly do not get hungry - it's more of a boredom, head hunger thing.  It's wonderful!

VSG on 04/28/2014

White Dove
on 8/2/16 12:19 pm - Warren, OH

Picture a two liter bottle of soda and then a magic marker next to it.  Two ounces of food would not fill your old stomach which is the same size or larger than the soda bottle. 

Your new sleeve will be smaller than the magic marker and easily full on two ounces of food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cici123
on 8/2/16 2:00 pm

I don't really get hungry in the same way that I did before surgery, almost 6 weeks ago.  I think about food that I have enjoyed in the past and kind of want to eat enough of it to enjoy it, but this does not bring me to the point of doing that.    Food was a beloved activity or past time for me, so I think I miss it for that reason more than actual hunger.     I don't really feel hunger, but I do get this sudden sense that my body needs nourishment and it needs it now.   This usually happens right on schedule with my meals.   The small quantity of food does provide a sense of fullness since your stomach is now tiny as well.  

Sunshine3k
on 8/2/16 2:17 pm
VSG on 07/19/16

I am 3 weeks post sleeve surgery today. I get head hunger and I will take a sip of water and feel better. I have yet to get actually hungry. I have to keep track of the time to eat meals (puree). 2 Oz does fill me up. Its mentally challenging because I use to be able to chug water down and I love water but a few sips and I'm full. 

L. 68
on 8/2/16 2:52 pm

congratulations!!  on your surgery!  i can relate to all of the above.  i do not get hungry i actually forget to eat if i am busy..BUTTTT....if im bored like i was last week cause it was raining all weekend here in NY i tend to graze and graze to the point where it hurts because MY STOMACH is so small then i regret it only because of the pain.  but although i say graze and graze it really isn't alot  because we cant fit more than 2-3 oz at a time..  im 8 weeks plus out from surgery (revision) and 22lbs down..and around the TOM is very challenging too because i crave chocolate and anything sweat  so i have to learn a  way to deal with that also.  Hang in there at least you have figured out what the problem may be.  

It will get better. everyday you learn something new and how to deal with it.  

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

L. 68
on 8/2/16 2:53 pm

sweet"

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

PapaJack
on 8/2/16 3:21 pm - VA

You will not be hungry.  Sometimes you will forget to eat.  Good luck to you.

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/3/16 5:16 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Took me about a week and a half, but I do. I get them all. Head hunger. Acid hunger. Hunger hunger. :P And to your 2oz part, I am 2 months post op and I still cant put in 2 oz but 1.5oz I'm full. 1.7oz I just ate thanksgiving.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Darcy G.
on 8/3/16 1:53 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I didn't get hungry the first six weeks when iit was an ordeal to get in 100 calories a day(had complications), but since I started eating with ease--about two months post-op--I get real, honest, tummy growling hungry. The only head hunger I experience is for sweets/carbs. My acid is controlled, mine isn't acid hunger. I get honest to goodness hungry.

It does suck.

But? I still can't evenget in 2 oz of dense protein, so even when hungry, it goes away fast!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Most Active