acid reflux roll call, please

Anne O.
on 7/24/16 6:50 pm, edited 7/24/16 7:22 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I was sleeved on 6/30/2016 and have acid reflux. I've been told that's normal for this surgery. I've been told to keep taking the PPIs for six months and I've also been told that the acid reflux will usually go away and you can wean yourself off of them six months or up to a year later. 

On the other hand, I've read too many stories here and on facebook from others who have had a gastric sleeve that still have reflux - sometimes so bad that they have to revise to RNY to get rid of it. 

I would like to get an idea of how many of you are still dealing with acid reflux. 

Please let me know: 

How long ago you had VSG.

Was it a revision?

Do you still have reflux? 

If so, how bad is it? Can it be controlled with medication? and how much medication do you take and what kind? 

Smallbites2015
on 7/24/16 7:51 pm

I have it now but worse than before .  If I eat spicey, which I love, or too close to bedtime, I'm on fire!!!

nexium once a day...tums or mylanta on occasion

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/16 11:07 pm

4.5 years out. No revision. I did not have reflux issues, but major stomach acid issues (different than reflux).  I was put on a PPI (Protonix - generic) to resolve the acid issues. Worked like a charm. I take one PPI per day. If I skip a dose I will get heart burn. The daily PPI keeps me symptom free. 

Talked to the doc about getting off the PPI. He did some deeper research and recommended that since my calcium levels were good and I continued to supplement that the benefit outweighed the minimal risk of longer term use.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/25/16 3:15 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had a very mild case of gerd b4 surgery that was most likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was repaired at surgery. I was on a ppi for a little more than a month b4 surgery & a couple of months after. I no longer take a ppi & feel fine.

It seems to be a crap shoot who'll get gerd, how severe it gets etc, etc.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

mmsmom
on 7/25/16 4:18 am - Woburn, MA

I have been on omeprazole for 2 years but have tried to switch to zantac in light of the dementia issues.  Honestly, I am dying on the zantac.  I have to supplement with tums and can't go more than about 10 hours without hearburn.  I am waiting to see my doctor in a few weeks to hear his view on the dementia issues with the ppis.  I had very good results with the omeprazole.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

LeapSecond
on 7/25/16 5:02 am - AR

I had reflux a hand full of times in 57 years until surgery.  I take tums and zantac (H2 blocker) and am well controlled.  If I skip I have reflux.  I think they are finding some sketchy data with the PPI and dementia connection.  We will see what next years data provides.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Gonnabskinni2018
on 9/14/18 11:03 am

Do you still suffer from acid reflux?

FuturePinUp
on 7/25/16 7:08 am

Sleeved 13 months ago. Not a revision.

I had some acid issues prior to surgery and they definitely haven't gone away. I take my Protonix (pantoprazole) 40mg daily and it helps sooo much. If I skip a few days then I definitely see a major difference and have to rely on my Zantac 150 (which also helps). 

Of course, I am also not really watching my diet in terms of acid. I love my tomato sauce, spicy food, and caffeine. The Protonix helps with that but may consider eating a less acid-inducing diet in the future and I don't want to be reliant on PPIs etc. forever.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Gonnabskinni2018
on 9/14/18 11:05 am
  • Do you still suffer from acid reflux?
P goode
on 7/25/16 8:55 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

I was sleeved 5-11-16 and I now have acid issues.  I didn't have to take anything regularly till the past week though, and now if my stomach empties for too long it just burns.  I treat it with pepcid ac complete and it seems to work but comes back so I have to take it daily.  I am trying to avoid ppi since it can affect iron absorption and I tend to have anemia issues.  I am hoping I will be a lucky one where it goes away after 6 months..

P

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Most Active