18 Month F/U appointment and Goal weight

Theduffman27
on 6/7/16 8:56 am, edited 6/7/16 8:57 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Some background.19 months post op.  I am 5'11" and had set a personal goal of 178 lbs. I reached my goal ( for a day), yet was unhappy as I had sagging skin, no muscle tone and looked gaunt.

I started adding weight training to my routine about 12 months ago. Prior to that I was strictly cardio.

I have been in the 184- 188 pound range for about 9 months and am very comfortable in this range. I can wear the same clothes I wore at 178 pounds, yet I am leaner. I have strong core muscles. I have definition in my legs,arms and chest now.

Now the struggle - I have struggled with my decision to gain weight and add muscle. I was focused on the scale number only and was driving myself and my family crazy. It bothers me that I am out of the "Normal BMI range" Yet as my doctor explained yesterday I am healthy. I am off 6 medications including insulin. My Doctor wants me to focus on my health and continuing to do what I am doing , feels I am in a healthy weight range.

To date I have lost 81% of my excess weight.

Does anyone else struggle with the scale?

SweetLynn2001
on 6/7/16 9:40 am, edited 6/7/16 2:41 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 08/02/16

Congratulations on your weight loss and i wish you continues success!

This is the time that it would be good to not look at the scale, throw it away or put it up in a closet or in the garage, some place that would be hard to reach. Concentrate on your body fat percentage not the number on the scale. I read an article once of this chick in the UK who was a body builder, while her weight on the scale said that she was obese, she also had only like 11% body fat so technically no, she wasn't obese. 

The scale only tells part of the story, you said it yourself, even though the scale went up 10 lbs you can still fit the same clothes and you look good/healthy.  

I think that everyone on OH struggled with the scale at one point or another, it's a reality of ours because of being overweight now or at some point in our lives. 

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 10:01 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Thank you for responding and reaffirming what I know, yet do not always grasp.

FuturePinUp
on 6/7/16 10:54 am

I do struggle with the scale, especially now as I am nearing the 1-year mark and things have slowed down a lot for me. I am also scared to start doing more weight-related things as I do think that seeing that number go up would really have a negative effect on my psyche. I have been strictly cardio on my journey as well, and have so far lost 85% of my excess weight, but am still shooting for that 100% - and would like to just overall be stronger and firmer (if possible).

Do you find that adding weight training has helped improve the look of your saggy areas? I know men and women gain muscle differently, but I am curious about how your results have been.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 8:44 am
VSG on 11/19/14

My results have been great. I will never be perfect, and am my own worst critic. with that said, I will now walk around with my shirt off , I have a little extra skin in my lower stomach area, though it is not loose or saggy. Just there. I have been religious using moisturizing creams and am unsure if that has helped as well.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/7/16 11:11 am - MI

Congrats!! You have done wonderful.

I stay off the scale! The only time I weight myself is at doctors apt. Last time I was weighed I was 6 lbs from my goal. I base everything on how I feel, how my clothes fit, how my race times are, etc. I know I'm healthy, I know I feel good, I know I look good. Is BMI considered normal? Not quite yet! I'd rather challange myself with race times then with the scale. Everyone is different. I wouldn't beat yourself up, but ask yourself how do you feel, are you healthy, do you like the way your clothes fit, etc.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 10:02 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Thank you for responding and the kind words, I am trying to stay off the scale, great advice!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/7/16 11:42 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Hey man awesome job. I'm not in the same position as I'm so new, but Im sure that can be a mind game of sorts..

One of my favorite stories of my best friend is he's an athlete.. fullback at Duke and at Cal Berkley. He now trains pro athletes for strength and agility (his entire family does), and is probably 10% body fat at most right now. He's huge and jacked. He is doing the 7 summits (climbing highest mountain on each continent). He runs like 6 minute miles...

He's considered obese at the doctors office. lol I dont know how much he weighs, but in using BMI they tell him he needs to lose weight, that hes overweight, but mind you he's got a sculpted body and a six pack... 

It all depends on what the weight is, which you're figuring out now and will continue to do so. 

Good luck man, be proud of what youve done!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 10:03 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Thanks Chris - I have a Buddy that is a bodybuilder and has been telling me the same thing. Thanks for adding another perspective.

Renren
on 6/7/16 12:55 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

.     The BMI chart was originally created in the 1830's by a mathematician. Probably not very accurate , especially if you are muscular. I'm not ,so I think it may be fairly accurate for me. I myself seem to need a number, because otherwise I start telling myself I look the same even if I've gained a significant amount of weight. I do believe though body fat percentage would be a better gauge. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active