mom here for support on my daughter's decision to get VSG

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/9/16 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Snag a copy of "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." I had my mom read it before I had surgery, and it was a really good introduction to the surgery itself, and what life would be like after.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sandra F.
on 5/10/16 6:17 am

I have PCOS and was pre-diabetic before my sleeve.  I now have regular periods and am now in the normal range, rather than pre-diabetic.  I think that your daughter would greatly benefit from the surgery.  Good luck to you both.

Sandra F.
on 5/10/16 6:19 am

Oh, forgot to mention that I had surgery in Mexico too.  I know that this is scary for you, especially as a parent, but my surgeon did an excellent job and the hospital was cleaner than some I have seen in the US.

janecoulough
on 5/10/16 7:33 am

thank you this is something I was always concerned about when she told me it was much cheaper than here.

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are many who go out of the country to get affordable weight loss surgery. There are some fabulous surgeons out there, but also many who prey on the desperate, who go home only to find that no surgeon is interested in working with the mess they got themselves.  Some have been 'experimented on' with hybrid procedures, with no legal recourse when the patient discovers it.  They even pay people to troll on sites like this one, playing the role of a fellow patient to lure people in.  I've seen some horrible horror stories over the decade I've been out here.  

It's a shame that these unscrupulous surgeons tarnish the reputation of the idea of surgery out of the country.  There is world-renowned talent outside of US boundaries.  Research the hell out of the surgeon you select.  Find plenty of US references for them.  Google them.  Pay just as much attention to negative and positive references. 

Also know that only 50% of RNY patients dump, so it's a risk, but not an absolute.  To know what procedure works best is to really know yourself and how your body reacts to your attempts at weight loss.  This isn't something that a surgeon can size up in a 10 minute chat.  They will perform what you ask for, but it's up to the patient to be educated on options and how to keep healthy.  Also know that there are options that not all surgeons even perform.  The procedure I had (duodenal switch, whi*****ludes a sleeve stomach) is not performed by many surgeons, but in learning about it, for me, made more sense than any other procedure, just in how my body fights me tooth and nail every time I tried to  lose weight.

Another thing to consider is medical tourism services.  These usually add $1000-2000 to the total cost,  but all logistical details are covered and can make for less anxiety about such things.  That being said, there are many surgeons who provide this as a courtesy at no extra cost, so don't hesitate to ask what they can do to help with those arrangements.  Many work with preferred hotels that take extra steps for recovering patients.  Some send nurses and even masseuses during the healing process.   Be sure to research them as well.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

janecoulough
on 5/15/16 11:07 am

This is exactly the kind of things I expected to know, my husband is very worried going out of the country but I think we should Research enough about hospitals. Our son in law (of elder) worked for many years in Mexico so I hope it might make this easier. Thank you valerie, very valuable information.

Most Active