Trouble Breathing After Surgery

LebenAlles
on 4/13/16 10:39 am
VSG on 04/05/16

I thought I had read about most every type of pain that I might encounter (if there were no complications) after my VSG.  I did not, however, remember reading about issues breathing or feeling a really strong ache/pressure right in the middle of the breastbone.  

This occurred the evening after surgery, including a time when I woke up from resting and couldn't breathe, only to be dismissed by the nurse saying I was having a panic attack (which could have been the end result, for sure...not being able to breathe is a panic inducing situation) and that my vitals were normal so all was fine.  The Surgeon that performed my VSG did not come by til the next day, and the doctor on call refused to come by as well, saying I was fine, even though several more issues of having a hard time breathing occurred and the pain on my breastbone did not let up.

Everyone pretty much seemed to think that many VSG patients have this same problem...so I figured I'd ask here...did anyone else experience this?

acbbrown
on 4/13/16 10:48 am - Granada Hills, CA

I didn't have that with my VSG specifically but for me, anesthesia can have that effect (I've had several surgeries post VSG). It's probably within "normal" for post surgery effects. 

A lesson I have learned. Not that this will help you, but may help someone else. Always try your best to research hospitals (if you're lucky enough to even have a choice) to see what people say about post surgery care. If people complain about lazy nurses ...find some where else. You're in a very vulnerable state after any surgery so it's best to go somewhere you know you will be taken care of. I had so so care after my VSG (never saw my surgeon before or after the OR room). After that, I have always made sure to find docs that are both excellent surgeons, excellent bed side manners, and has a great team working with him (or her). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

emelar
on 4/13/16 12:10 pm - TX

When I woke up in recovery, they told me to take a deep breath,  and I had a sharp pain just as you describe.  They upped my pain meds and that's the last I felt of it.  It sucks that the medical staff wasn't doing more to either relieve the pain or at least assure you that nothing bad was going on.  They just looked at your O2 saturation, and it was fine, so you were fine - which does nothing for your peace of mind.

happyteacher
on 4/13/16 12:49 pm

Did you have a hiatel hernia repair- I had that type of stuff going on post hernai repair.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LebenAlles
on 4/13/16 4:40 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

I did not.  Just the vsg, thankfully.  I can imagine that was a tough recovery for you!

iloveravens
on 4/13/16 5:28 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Yes, I could not breathe deeply.  They had me try to blow in to that plastic thingy (sorry I don't know the term).  I could not make the little ball move up even a tiny bit.  I had to breathe shallow breaths for one full day until they finally did a swallow test and chest x-ray and found an obstruction in my sleeve.  I had to have an RNY the next day.  PM me if you want to chat more.  I hope you feel better soon.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

handtlkr
on 4/13/16 7:47 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

The doctor came around the next day after my surgery and was ready to discharge me.  He asked if I had been doing a lot of walking. I said I hadn't even been out of my bed yet.  They tried to get me up to walk before I was to be discharged.  As I tried to stand, I couldn't catch my breath and had to lay back down.  One of the nurses, on my second attempt to get up a few hours later, mentioned how my lips were getting their color back, because they had turned blue when I tried to stand.  I don't know what happened, but a few hours later I was able to stand up and walk a little bit. I still don't know how or why that happened. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

LeapSecond
on 4/14/16 6:43 am - AR

All surgeries have the possibility of difficulty with breathing. The lungs get kinda floppy and don't want to stay open. It is real important to cough, deep breath and do the incentive spirometry. If they nurses didn't emphasize that with your complaint of pain that was a major failure on their part. Hope you are feeling better. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

BeautifulMe84
on 4/14/16 7:06 am
VSG on 03/10/16

Hi there...I myself had a very difficult time breathing after surgery also. I think between the anesthesia and the morphine pump (pain meds) made breathing deeply... more difficult after surgery. You know that little device they give you to suck in air after surgery? I couldn't even tolerate doing that because of the pain and just the shortness of breath I was having. Trust me it does get better day by day. It took me a good full 2 weeks to actually reach the top of the spirometer device which measures the air capacity of the lungs. Keep using the spirometer every day it helps keeps your lungs strong and the pain will subside. Good luck on your journey! 

LebenAlles
on 4/17/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Thank you guys for all of your replies!  The breathing has gotten a lot better, especially in the last few days.  I'm able to get to the marked spot on the breathing apparatus, am able to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes (at a slow speed), and no longer have much pain over my diaphragm.  I go in for my first checkup since surgery tomorrow, so hopefully they are pleased with my progress.

Most Active