Surgery in 3 days but I cheated on my first week and I'm scared it'll get canceled!!!!!!!!!

Lindseydean1992
on 3/21/16 5:32 pm

I am so extremely ashamed in myself!! This is a major change in my life and I F***ed up on the first week. I drank a lot of liquids on the 1st week but also ate some unhealthy foods once a day. Carbs carbs carbs during that week but all this week I drank/ate less than 10 grams of carbs and ran my big butt down the road a couple times. Will that be enough to get me thru the surgery as long as a haul a$$ for the next couple days or will I may as well re schedual it? I KNOW I KNOW THEY GAVE ME THE PRE OP DIET FOR A REASON but I got my butt kicked by temptation the 1st week but no more from here on out!!! What if I jog like hell today and next couple days will I burn some cals enough to get rid of liver fat???? I need help guys!! Surely I'm not the only one who screwed myself over during my pre op diet!! I am shaking with anger at myself! HELP

Sammy_85
on 3/21/16 6:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

The only person who can tell you if you can still have your surgery after screwing up on your pre-op diet is your surgeon, so I'd recommend letting him know what you ate and seeing what he has to say. It may not be easy to tell him but it'd be better than having him opening and closing you up without performing the surgery (I don't know how often this happens but I know my surgeon has done it). He may postpone it for safety reasons or he may postpone it because screwing up on your pre-op can mean that you aren't mentally ready for the surgery. And as far as I know, jogging for a few days and burning some calories will not get rid of the slimy coating on your liver that makes it hard for the surgeon to handle. Good luck.

MissNexxie
on 3/21/16 6:56 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

You need to tell your surgeon ASAP. Don't wait until the morning of surgery.  Come clean, be honest and see what he says.  This is not about bartering, jogging or burning calories or testing how little you can eat.  The pre-op diet is to shrink the liver so the stomach is more easily accessed during this delicate surgery.  It is a medical thing and must be respected.

Talk to your surgeon's office tomorrow. Put your big girl pants on and be smart on this.  Depending on the types of food you ate you may still be able to have the surgery or they may decide otherwise but you have to tell them.  Make no assumptions here in either direction.  If someone is going to open you up you want them to know exactly what to expect so you can get the best care with the least amount of risk possible.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/21/16 9:24 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

While I was having my sugery my DH sat in the waiting room, after each of us was done he would come out and say a few words.  For those who still had a fatty liver: he'd say I only see this if the patient didn't follow their diet, if that's not the case then there is a concern about fatty liver disease so I took a biopsy.

So fess up now, our he'll know once in there.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

DonnaMaria
on 3/22/16 3:54 am

Your surgeon will have to make that decision. I can tell you my surgeon does not require a pre-op diet. His theory is that he doesn't want you to go in to surgery being weak. Just his opinion. 

ladygodiva1228
on 3/22/16 10:53 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 22, 2016 at 12:32 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

I am so extremely ashamed in myself!! This is a major change in my life and I F***ed up on the first week. I drank a lot of liquids on the 1st week but also ate some unhealthy foods once a day. Carbs carbs carbs during that week but all this week I drank/ate less than 10 grams of carbs and ran my big butt down the road a couple times. Will that be enough to get me thru the surgery as long as a haul a$$ for the next couple days or will I may as well re schedual it? I KNOW I KNOW THEY GAVE ME THE PRE OP DIET FOR A REASON but I got my butt kicked by temptation the 1st week but no more from here on out!!! What if I jog like hell today and next couple days will I burn some cals enough to get rid of liver fat???? I need help guys!! Surely I'm not the only one who screwed myself over during my pre op diet!! I am shaking with anger at myself! HELP

Did you even call your surgeon and ask what would happen if you didn't follow the pre op diet? 

Jogging like hell is not going to do anything for your liver. 

What exactly was your pre-op diet supposed to be?   Liquids for 2 weeks?  Shakes twice a day with one 500cal meal at night?

You'll know if you wake up and the surgeon did not perform the surgery that it was cancelled. 

I really hope you have a therapist set up for after surgery, because if you don't follow the post-op plan you could very well kill yourself.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/22/16 1:10 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You posted THIS four days ago about cheating on your preop diet.

Call your surgeon and tell him what you've been doing.  You cannot undue the poor choices you made.  Temptation is never going away, even after surgery.  Jogging won't reduce your fatty liver.  We cannot help you.  You have to be responsible for your own choices.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Chilipepper
on 3/22/16 1:58 pm

If the liver is enlarged they will close you up on the table rather than run the risk of damaging it.  I can't understand why people outright refuse to follow the instructions of their surgeon and they ***** because the surgery is postponed or cancelled. If you must risk your life and ignore the instructions, do NOT take your surgeon and his reputation down with your sinking ship. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/16 3:17 pm - CA

Jogging will not rectify your inability to stick to the preop diet which is done to reduce the size of the liver.   If you are eating anything but the preop diet, you won't be able to accomplish what the Dr. wants you to.   

I have worked within a Bariatric Program and there have been times when a patient would wake up from anesthesia to find out they did not have their procedure done.  Some have been because of medical conditions found and others have been because the patient didn't follow the preop diet.   In either case, the patient was devastated.   This surgery is a TOOL and your surgeon needs to know that you are dedicated to using your tool and not trying to find a way to work around it.  They also need to know that you can be compliant with the post op diet, so if for some reason you do not feel that you can, you need to put the brakes on NOW.   If you do have surgery and you don't change the habits you are exhibiting, you will not be successful.   That is the last thing your surgeon wants for any of their patients.  

I will be very honest with you, it doesn't get any easier after you have surgery either.    Head hunger is a real issue.  We still crave things we can't have and don't need.   There is temptation everyday and one small indiscretion will lead to more.  Take every bit of information the posters have given you, both good and bad and really look at what they are saying.   No one is trying to hurt you with the honest replies, but you really need to look deeper and resolve the issues you have before you jump into surgery and struggle even more. 

If I could lend you once piece of advice that I wish I had before I had surgery, it would be to take the time before surgery to adapt to your post op eating lifestyle.   The more you adapt preop, the more successful you are post op.

Nik

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/22/16 5:19 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You can jog from here to Australia & it'll do nothing to get rid of a fatty liver. Tell your surgeon what you did. The last thing you want is to wake up from surgery & not get wls. If anything let them postpone it to give you time to get your head in the game.

Addiction, addiction, addiction. Surgery won't change that. Get into some therapy/support groups to battle your eating demons. You screwed up, but you can still get help now to be successful.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active