As my date gets closer the more scared I am. Please help me work this out in my head

carrie3101
on 3/22/16 6:15 pm

Hey there,

I'm 3 months post op, and I think I eat out more now than I did before. Yes, I have altered what I order, and usually end up with a to-go box, but not one person has commented on it, and I have never felt crippled by the sleeve.  

I'm also really into cooking and was convinced that all the joy derived from that hobby would also be gone-- also not true. 

I have found almost no downside to having the surgery, aside from the cost (i paid for mine out of pocket), and the fact that I wish I was losing more quickly. 

I was someone terrified of complications, so I did a lot of worrying about that before hand. I'm glad I was well informed, but the anxiety really made the months before a living hell, so I really hope you're able to move past that.

I can say, unequivocally, my life was absolutely not ruined, and I'm happier...and none of my relationships have changed, at all. Best of luck to you working through this-- hope to see you on the other side, if you believe it's the right path for you :)

NYMom222
on 3/22/16 6:40 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is scary... I think everyone is scared before surgery. I kept telling myself I could change my mind at any time.... of course I didn't. No regrets.

The never being able to eat out again is so not true. I am a social person, and wouldn't give that up. I had 3 weddings, my brother's 60th Birthday, and an annual BBQ in my backyard for 100 people my first 6 weeks after surgery. First wedding I didn't eat, kept drinking water with a splash of cranberry and lime wedge to look festive, and drank a premier protein on the way into the reception, and I enjoyed... by second wedding Doc said I could have fish, by 3rd wedding I was six weeks out and ate little bits. Anyone who asked why I wasn't eating at the first wedding, I just said I just had surgery and am still recovering...

In the beginning when I would go out with friends I would just have soup. I didn't worry if it had a lot of protein, I could get the protein at home... and it was fluids. When I could eat salad, I sometimes would get a dinner salad.... and now I order what I like and think works and bring home leftovers.

Support is important. Check out your Doc's support group. Some are good, some aren't. See if there are any local groups (non-hospital based) come online to OH and other places, read, read, read and join in..

Is your husband supportive?

They are probably scared for you.....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Aurorasw
on 3/26/16 4:37 am
VSG on 04/26/16

Hello,

I know all people respond to post op differently but was wondering how far out from surgery were you when you attended the first wedding? I have a wedding to go to only 9 days after my surgery on 4/26. I am wondering if I am going to be able to go? I am hoping to and I was going to tell people that I had my gall bladder out or something. Thank you for your post. I also felt encouraged reading it. I am really nervous about having the surgery. Terrified! 4/26 can't get here fast enough! Thanks again for the advice!! 

NYMom222
on 3/26/16 7:23 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, and went to the wedding the next Saturday. So about 10 days. Like I said I drank a premier protein on the way in. During the '****tail hour' I remember taking some spinach dip and roasted red peppers they had on my plate. maybe mashed and took a few tiny bites.... but just wanted something on my plate. At the bar I asked for water with a splash of cranberry and lime. Again I didn't want to stick out ...it looked festive. At dinner, half the table knew me and knew I had surgery, half didn't. I may have snuck to the ladies room at one point and drank another premier. I asked the waiter to wrap my dinner to take home. I just said I had surgery, and won't be able to eat it. Put it int he freezer when I got home. The people who didn't know me at the  table did finally ask, -Why aren't you eating anything. I again just said something like "I just had abdominal surgery' or something like that.

I did leave a few minutes early t cake and dessert time. They didn't just have cake they had a full dessert buffet (huge)... this was a nice Italian New York wedding.... I wasn't quite ready to handle that. All in all, everything went well.

Good Luck! You will do well.

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

Aurorasw
on 3/27/16 4:00 am
VSG on 04/26/16

Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate all of the advice. It sounds like you were feeling well enough to go to the wedding which is great!! On the bottom of your post it says weight lost 206 pounds! Did you lose over 200 pounds?? That is amazing!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! So happy for you! Thanks again for responding to my post. 

NYMom222
on 3/27/16 11:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, I lost over 200lbs.

Save

Save

Aurorasw
on 3/27/16 6:05 pm
VSG on 04/26/16

Amazing!!!!! Good for you!!!!! You must of worked really hard! Awesome!!!!!!

Sammy2929
on 3/25/16 1:23 pm
VSG on 05/02/16

My surgery date is also 5/4.  I am having RNY.  I am scared too.  I haven't told any of my friends and don't intend to do so until I'm on the losing side.  I was fine until someone put up a post the other day that really scared me but the regulars on  here said that she was a fake  and put that to rest for me.  I am still scared, but the way I look at it now is that this feeling is leading me on a path in the right direction.  A path that will take me out of the dark corner I've been hiding in for the past 20 years and into the light to live a better life, a new life full of things I haven't done in years.  I get so excited when I start thinking this way, and of the things I have yet to experience....OMG!!!  38 days, 12 hours and 37 minutes until hospital time 

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

NYMom222
on 3/26/16 7:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You will do well. Don't forget being Morbidly Obese is pretty scary too....

Save

Save

SSwan_TO
on 3/27/16 3:57 pm

One reason I didn't tell anyone but parents and one close friend.  I am 11 days post op.  They also fixed my hiatal hernia when they were in there.  I am down 9 lbs post op.  No complications.  Up and walking around within a few hours, out of the clinic the next day and walking around Tijuana.  I wish there was surgery to take away my preference for easter eggs over smoothies.  But I have no regrets, at least at this stage :).

P.S.:  Had my gallbladder removed last year.  Even though there was a bunch more incisions for the gastric sleeve, it was way easier.  No nausea.  I had lots of indigestion after that, but not after the sleeve (burping is still quite an experience, however).  

Most Active