Still have a problem eating. Need some words of wisdom

To P.
on 3/19/16 9:18 am

Hi All!

I'm 10 months out and still have a hard time eating? I know it is still early on and I am still adjusting or it might be a mental thing now. I by no means want to go back and eat like I did. Although there have been times I wished I could be me now and eat like I did then. Not the amount but the enjoyment. Its a pain in the a** to eat these days. I do not have a problem with actually eating. I chew and swallow and stop when I get full which is about a 3rd of a pound of food. And if I take the extra two or three bites, I get to pay for it. So the surgery is/was a success. It is doing what it was designed to do. I get it.

But, it sure would be nice to get rid of that sticking feeling in my throat. I've been told it is because my sleeve is full and the food is filling my throat? I dont think it is. Its not that kind of feeling, Its a sticking right about my adams apple. And it is really annoying!  

Is it just me or is this a growing pain that will pass?

And if so when will it go away.....???

ocean4dlm
on 3/19/16 10:20 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

A third of a pound of food is A LOT of food. I am also 10 months out and typically have 3 ounces of dense protein per meal. I then have 1/4 to 1/2 cup of a veggie. I have learned to eat "under my sleeve" and specifically look for that "satisfied but not full" place. It sounds like you might be eating too much ?  I don't know where you are in your process (losing or maintaining), but if you are happy with your progress, you might want to divide your food up into smaller meals.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/16 8:51 pm

So you're eating approximately 1/3 of a pound at each meal, too. 16 divided by 3.33 = 4.804 oz. 

3 oz of meat + about 1/3 cup cooked green beans is approximately 4.7 oz on my scale. 

Maria27
on 3/20/16 3:56 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Your math is slightly off. 1/3 of a pound is 5.33 oz.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/16 5:14 pm

Oh, I have to laugh at myself now! I was so focused on 1/3, I divided by 3 and one third rather than simply by 3. Lord only knows why my head was up my butt on that! Obviously, I was feeling passionate about the issue. Thanks for the correction! 

Spencerella
on 3/19/16 10:32 am, edited 3/19/16 3:29 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I agree with Ocean - sounds like you're eating too much. If you're feeling 'full' you're already several bites too far in. The way I describe what I'm going for is to stop eating is when I no longer feel 'empty'. Or when my measured portion is done. Whichever comes first. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 12:34 pm, edited 3/19/16 5:37 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Im just starting but what I've been looking at everyday is the "what are you eating" posts each day.  I've been making plans for when I move past solids to mimic some of those choices such as 2oz protien, cheese stick, boiled egg, Greek yogurt, and such for choices for lunch or snacks.  It took me awhile to think about how much 1/3lb of food was because on their daily post they eat about 2-3oz each sitting.  

That said I'm not sure that you eating more would make you feel like food was sticking in your throat that high up.  Could you add more details such as dosnt it happen with certain kinds of foods, time or day, all the time, with food only or with drinks as well? Migh help narrow things down.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

hollykim
on 3/19/16 12:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2016 at 4:18 PM Pacific Time, thomboey wrote:

Hi All!

I'm 10 months out and still have a hard time eating? I know it is still early on and I am still adjusting or it might be a mental thing now. I by no means want to go back and eat like I did. Although there have been times I wished I could be me now and eat like I did then. Not the amount but the enjoyment. Its a pain in the a** to eat these days. I do not have a problem with actually eating. I chew and swallow and stop when I get full which is about a 3rd of a pound of food. And if I take the extra two or three bites, I get to pay for it. So the surgery is/was a success. It is doing what it was designed to do. I get it.

But, it sure would be nice to get rid of that sticking feeling in my throat. I've been told it is because my sleeve is full and the food is filling my throat? I dont think it is. Its not that kind of feeling, Its a sticking right about my adams apple. And it is really annoying!  

Is it just me or is this a growing pain that will pass?

And if so when will it go away.....???

that is one of the ways reflux manifests itself. Are you taking a PPI,lie Nexium ,etc. 

cappy11448
on 3/19/16 1:46 pm

I think 1/3 pound of food is a lot, even for 10 months post op.  I'm three years out, and I still only eat 4 ounces (1/4 pound) of dense protein and then a little veggie if I have room.    The feeling in your throat is probably about eating too much.  I'd suggest cutting back a little and see if it goes away.

I get sad at times when I see others eating these HUGE meals (compared to my 4 ounces plus veggies), and I just wish that I could eat until satisfied just once in a while.  But that's not  how it works.  And on the whole, I'd much rather be a normal weight and have health and energy.  But its ok to feel sad for what the disease of obesity has cost us.  Then, of course, we trudge on, doing the best we can, and creating the best lives we can within the limits of our humanity. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/16 8:41 pm, edited 3/19/16 3:27 pm

Oh my, people! 1/3 of a pound is 4.8 ounces! That's basically 3 oz of meat and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of green beans. Granted at 10 months that may be pushing it, but a mature sleeve will easily hold that much. And if he's a tall guy with a long sleeve at 10 months out that doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. 

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, the sticking feeling in your throat is most likely that your sleeve is over filled. Your sleeve is a high pressure and a closed system with the pyloric valve at the bottom and the esophageal sphincter at the top. When filled to capacity the food will push against the esophageal sphincter, which is designed to keep stomach acid in the stomach, and that is the feeling you feel when there is that pressure at your Adam's apple. Best way to avoid that is to eat slowly and check in with yourself (and your sleeve) during your meal to see if you really need to finish your portion.

As your sleeve matures, you will find that some days it will hold more than it will other days. At this point there is no sense to push the limits. You're still in the first year stages of your post op journey. It's a great time to learn how to eat to satisfaction rather than fullness. Practice mindful eating, learning your satisfaction point and your true limits, and you'll see those symptoms vanish. 

Best of luck. 

Most Active