Anyone have a hernia repair w/Nissen fundoplication after sleeve??

farewell2fat
on 2/21/16 6:04 pm, edited 2/21/16 7:11 pm - Apopka, FL

If so, please tell me your results, feedback. 

White Dove
on 2/22/16 8:00 am - Warren, OH

I highly doubt it.  Normally you would be converted to an RNY.  Do more research if a doctor wants to repair hiatal hernia and then do the nissen funoplication.  The sleeve makes GERD worse.  RNY is usually a cure for reflux and GERD/

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 2/22/16 8:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2016 at 2:04 AM Pacific Time, farewell2fat wrote:

If so, please tell me your results, feedback. 

I don't think a Nissan is possible after the sleeve. There is not enough stomach left to do a Nissan. Maybe your surgeon is planning to use mesh and calling it a Nissan?

stacyrg
on 2/22/16 10:19 am
VSG on 05/12/14

That is correct.  Nissen is impossible after a well constructed sleeve.

farewell2fat
on 2/22/16 6:47 pm - Apopka, FL

You'll are right! I said how in the HELL can they wrap your sleeve stomach around your esophagus? Thought I had that without consent. I thought I was only getting a paraesophageal hernia repair. But my discharge papers said robotic hernia repair Nissen. I called my doctor & asked, the PA that was in the surgery with doctor said no Nissen was done. Yes, mesh was used. But my next question at my post op appt will be why does it say that on discharge papers & also on my laparoscopic surgery pics?? Insurance reasons? More money? Who knows, but it did alarm me thinking a procedure I didn't consent to was performed.

lorylight
on 10/5/16 2:13 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Hi, just wondering if you can tell me how your surgery went. I also have a paraesophageal hernia that has to be repaired before I have the vsg, and was wanting to know if you had any complications after surgery. My surgeon said if he had to use mesh to repair my hernia that he wouldn't do the vsg after, but wait until my stomach healed from the hernia surgery. He also said depending on how things looked once he got in there that he might decide to do the rny instead of vsg. thanks for any info you can share!

HW 299, SW 276.4

Most Active