First time on, Hello

Dsmgold
on 2/4/16 9:31 am
VSG on 03/01/16

Good Day,

This is my first post.  I am still Pre-Op with a Surgery Date Scheduled for March 1st.  I won't start my 2 week liquid diet until the 15th.  It's funny, with all this delay before my Surgery Date, I go through bouts of really wanting to proceed and bouts of wanting to cut and run. 

Being 6-04, I carry my weight well, with most of in in the stomach area.  Looking at myself in the mirror, I ask myself, did I really give the other options: diets and exercise alone my best shot.  I have been diabetic for about 16 years which makes loosing weight through conventional means difficult.  140 units of Lantus once a day, Plus Metformin, Glipizide and Lysinopril as well.

Reading all the positive posts here is a real boost to my confidence and desire to continue with my plan for VSG.  I have a good support system in place for this.  But I still have daily doubts. 

I have cheated (a little bit) on most diets in the past.  I have had some fair success with Metafast but could not sustain the weight loss portion of the plan longer than 6 months and had no plan for maintenance. 

My main motivation for this VSG surgery is to reduce and hopefully go into remission on my diabetes. That and being in my 50's I am seeing mortality creep up on me sooner that I like. My Mom is 72 and runs half marathons, and I wonder if I could do something like that.

Well, it is lunch time and time for me to go walk my daily mile before lunch. 

Peace, Charlie

alouisa63
on 2/4/16 9:43 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Welcome Charlie~! 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 10:03 am

Welcome! Stick around and you'll learn a lot about how to live a "Sleeved Life"! 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/4/16 11:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Welcome 

If you follow your post op plan, the weight will come off.  You'll be surprised how much better you feel.  It's given me back my life and without question I would do it again.

I never had a problem losing weight, but I always gained it back after I "finished" the diet.  This is a completely different mindset.  I can't imagine returning to my former eating habits (junk food/fast food daily) ever again.  It just doesn't taste the same to me.  

Good luck with the pre op diet.  Stick with it, even when you think it's impossible to drink another protein shake.  It helps you to adjust to what you'll be eating/drinking immediately after surgery.

Food that you love will never disappear.  It's always going to be there.  But if you're like me, you know that you've eaten enough of it to feed a medium sized African nation.  Take a break from your bad eating habits and you might be surprised at the changes in your taste buds.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/4/16 12:11 pm, edited 2/4/16 4:12 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Hi Charlie.. Welcome!

I'm only a few weeks out and I to was on insulin (70 baseline + sliding scale up to 90 units a day)

I haven't needed insulin since the day of surgery.. I hope it continues.

There is a wealth of information out here to help you, lots of wonderful vet posters who won't hesitate to give you some great advice and/or tough love :)  anything you wonder about, ponder over or need help with can be found in the search function.. good luck!

L. 68
on 2/4/16 12:21 pm

DSMGOLD,

Yeahhhhh we are having surgery the same day!!! I have the band so mine is a revision, you are making the right decision u will be fine and you will feel so much better in long run so you can run with your mom  

Congratulations and WELCOME!!

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

psychoticparrot
on 2/4/16 1:32 pm

Hi, Charlie. Everyone goes through doubts and what-ifs before bariatric surgery. The only question you need to ask yourself is this: What would your future be if you don't get the surgery? If the answer is as bleak as I believe it is, then your decision to have sleeve surgery is a good one.

I was 63 when I had my surgery a year ago. Didn't have diabetes, but had every other major comorbidity, including near immobility and constant joint pain. I'm only 5'1", so you can imagine how I looked at 275 pounds -- like a 5'x5' beachball, only a lot less cute. I'm quite certain I had only a few years left to me. Whenever I had doubts about having the surgery, all I had to think about was what my life would be like without the surgery, and that scenario was a whole lot scarier than any surgery could possibly have been.

Having a sleeve doesn't mean you'll never eat something you shouldn't, but the sleeve does help immensely to curb hunger and cravings for junk food. If you''re careful about eating and drinking what you should, and measure and account for everything you eat, you will succeed in losing more weight than you thought was possible. The sleeve is that good.

Enjoy your walk. It's great that you already have some exercise included in your daily routine. That will be a helpful habit after surgery upon which you can build, possibly even to that marathon you're thinking about. If you've lurked here much, you will have read about some of the amazing physical feats some sleevers have accomplished.

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Grim_Traveller
on 2/4/16 2:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Hey Charlie. We all go through the same doubts. But yhe fact is, you have the same chance of losing the weight without surgery as winning the lottery.

Best choice I ever made.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Charlie, welcome and congratulations on the choice to change your life forever for the better! While I understand your hesitance (I wondered a lot if I could do it alone myself too) it will be the best decision you have ever made about your health. I don't regret my choice and wish I had done it 4-5 years ago when I had less to lose and more time to enjoy being healthy and young. Please keep posting and contributing to the forums it will become a support system for you and an accountability tool (I know it is for me) and you will gain a ton of knowledge. The fact that you walk is excellent because it means you are already in the habit of getting exercise which is of course healthy and good for weight loss.

Smallbites2015
on 2/4/16 4:36 pm

Welcome Charlie!!! Lots of great people here

Most Active