I don't want to eat (kinda long)

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 1:30 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I don't remember any time in my life not wanting to eat. Before surgery literally I could have just eaten and if someone invited me out to eat I'd go. I could have a puking stomach flu and still eat, most likely puke it up, and eat again. But lately I literally don't want to eat, anything. Not protein shakes, not meat, not cheese, not even sugar or other carbs. I feel kinda sick to my stomach when I eat and I'm not over eating I feel sick on bite one and I am still weighing everything. I know I need to hit protein goals to continue losing so I push myself to get through my two ounces of turkey or chicken or whatever but I hate it. The only thing keeping me going is consistently seeing a smaller number every week on the scale as opposed to a bigger number every week like I used to basically my whole life. I used to love food (obviously why I had a weight problem) and I thought I always would, but lately food is making me miserable. I don't want to over-analyze it or get too obsessed but this just feels not normal but maybe this is my new normal. I still do not regret surgery as I am seeing weights that I haven't seen since graduating high school 10 years ago. And I guess if I have to choose I'd rather not have a love affair with food like I did before surgery. Maybe this is what it feels like to be a naturally thin (though I am far from thin) person? Maybe because I am not constantly obsessed with food like I was for most of my life I don't know what it feels like to be neutral or unconcerned with food? But feeling sick to my stomach is misery. I am controlling acid well so I know it's not that, I am not sick (no flu/cold etc). Food smells are bothering the hell out of me too. When I was little/younger (2-13) smelling food I didn't like or lingering food smells made me gag and sometimes puke and then I grew out of it and now it's back. Though I've managed to keep from puking I gag until I think I am going to puke. I cooked salmon yesterday and the fish smell (though salmon is never overly fishy in my opinion) is making me feel queasy. I've been burning candles/incense and even though it's freezing opened windows and am running fans to get the smell out of my house. There is zero chance I am pregnant either so it's not that before anyone suggests that or asks. Any suggestions would be great, because these swings between massive head hunger and cravings and yet being sick when I eat the things I am supposed to is maddening.

White Dove
on 2/2/16 1:47 pm - Warren, OH

I went through that for months at a time.  Since I was living alone, I usually just drank protein shakes.  That caused a lot of constipation and I know now that I should have added fiber to them.

I did not push the solids if I did not want to eat them but made sure I got in enough protein grams.  I sometimes feel this is part of the process of really breaking up with food.

In time the aversion goes away.  I can eat now, but still have the take it or leave it attitude.  I never want to be obese again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 1:13 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Thanks White Dove, I'm glad I'm not going insane. Hopefully this will help me with "breaking up with food" which I do need to do.

rocky513
on 2/2/16 1:56 pm - WI

Food smells bothered me for about year after surgery.  Cooking was a chore.  I never felt like eating and nausea was a daily occurrence. It gets better.  You are very early out from surgery.  Give it a little time.  Right now concentrate on protein and fluids and take your vitamins.  Use this time to change everything about how you relate to food.  Try not to obsess over food.  Food is fuel for the body... nothing more.  It is not necessary for celebration, it doesn't cure boredom or stress, and it does not provide comfort.  Finding new ways to celebrate and cope will help you in the long run. Don't give food any power over you... it's just food.  It's OK to not be hungry and not to eat.  We really need very little food to thrive.

Just a helpful note: The font and color you are using in your posts are VERY hard for "old eyes" to read and breaking your posts into paragraphs would make it easier to get through too.  You might get more responses to your posts if you change them.  I know several vets on this board that will skip over the post if it is hard to read.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 1:16 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Thank you Rocky. I forget sometimes that we do need a very small amount of food to thrive. I will just do protein shakes and continue to hi****er goals and take my vitamins. Hope the nausea goes away soon. I will definitely call my surgeon's office if it doesn't let up by this coming Monday. Sorry about the font, I just love purple so much which is why I make it large and bold so it's easier to read, guess that's not working so well.

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 2:03 pm

Totally normal! No worries. It will pass. My distaste for food lasted only about 3 weeks or so, but eating was a chore for about 6 months on and off. Today, 4 years later, I'm pretty much back to normal except there are foods I really don't like and bother me. Top of that list is PASTA. Yuck! You will fall into your stride. Just ride this out and don't stress. However, don't short yourself on protein. That is non negotiable. Get your minimum every day and shoot for even more. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 1:22 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Kairk, I would say eating being a "chore" is exactly how I'd describe it. I get no joy from food now (which is how it should be) so maybe I am mourning my loss of food giving me joy? I won't short myself on protein I can easily hit/exceed protein goals with just a few protein shakes a day, and then I can really focus on getting lots of water in and always getting vitamins. Glad I am not going crazy I always think I am, or that I am experiencing something no one else has. But I need to trust the journey and know everything I am going through someone else has already experienced.

Eggface
on 2/2/16 3:14 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It is so bizarre isn't it... it is pretty typical though... they actually did a study on it in the UK. They used gastric bypass patients as the sample but you might find it interesting: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824138 

I will say this... be sure to eat... if you want to burn fat, your body needs fuel... increased exercise needs increased nutrition... your Dr can prescribe something for nausea and if that persists (especially if its happening not in the presence of food/cooking smells) I'd get that checked. Don't trade one disordered eating behavior for another (that happens.) 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 1:30 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Eggface, it's bizarre for sure but, I definitely won't skip eating/drinking meals to get protein. I might try doing just a week or so of protein shakes only to see if that helps with nausea and maybe all that liquid will make food taste good again (I mean the pre-op liquid only made me want food all the more so it could happen again?). I plan on getting some answers on the nausea if it hasn't let up by this coming Monday just to make extra sure I am not coming down with something (though I know I am not). I know the surgeon's office will ask if that's what it could be and I'd rather be able to tell them it's long term then just happening for a few days.

Sandra F.
on 2/3/16 6:07 am

I was nauseous for a while after surgery and discovered it was from dehydration.  Try increasing your water in-take and see if that helps.  Hope this gets better soon for you.

Most Active