CMR1075
on 1/29/16 9:34 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Good to know...thanks!

hollykim
on 1/28/16 12:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 28, 2016 at 3:49 AM Pacific Time, CMR1075 wrote:

So, I am seriously confused (it doesn't take much lol). I had a post op appointment today and I am not quite 2 weeks out yet. Well, the physicians assistant is who I saw today and she told me that she wanted me to start eating food. EATING. FOOD. I asked like 2 more times cause I felt like I didn't hear her correctly. The binder they give out at the initial appointment states liquids and soft stuff -- like yogurt, cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs --- the first 2 weeks. Weeks 3-4 should be pureed and soft foods. Week 5 is when food is introduced. So, it made no sense to me why on earth she wants me to start already. I can barely get down what I am drinking now. I told her I wasn't comfortable with that yet cause what if I rupture something. She assures me my stomach is fine to have finely chewed foods. Has anyone experienced this????? I know I have been having some uncomfortableness (is that a word lol) when drinking, but she says that's because of the hiatal hernia repair and not my stomach and should not worry. So here's my dilema, I don't think I am ready for food and scared to death to try it. But at the same time, I don't know if I should follow what they are telling me to do. 

What do you all think???

the soft diet and puréed diet IS FOOD. 

CMR1075
on 1/28/16 9:40 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I know it's food...maybe I should have elaborated in the consistency of it lol. 

hollykim
on 1/29/16 10:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 29, 2016 at 5:40 AM Pacific Time, CMR1075 wrote:

I know it's food...maybe I should have elaborated in the consistency of it lol. 

I guess it's just me, but if you know puréed and soft diet is food,I don't see what the problem is. 

CMR1075
on 1/29/16 12:48 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Because I haven't had puréed foods yet. I was on liquids this whole time and they want me to eat chicken and meats and not purée them. I just felt like they were advancing me so quick when I was still just having soup and protein shakes. 

hollykim
on 1/29/16 1:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 29, 2016 at 8:48 PM Pacific Time, CMR1075 wrote:

Because I haven't had puréed foods yet. I was on liquids this whole time and they want me to eat chicken and meats and not purée them. I just felt like they were advancing me so quick when I was still just having soup and protein shakes. 

I think when she said to start eating FOOD, she meant to move on in your diet progression TO puréed food. 

If I was confused, that is what I would do. Go on to the next stage in my book.

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/28/16 8:28 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Unless they said eat food because your loosing too much or are having a malfunction that food would help I'd eat what's in your book. Your book sounds right per the typical diet found online. The PA's advise feels weird to you because the advice isn't right per what your feeling in your body.  Listen to your body and discus with your doc if you need to.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

FuturePinUp
on 1/29/16 11:23 am

In short - no, eating pureed foods at 2 weeks out will not cause any ruptures or anything. What is important is to weight your portions and not go over 2-3 oz so early out. I was on pureed foods starting Day 1, as per my clinic. I had tuna salad at the hospital and my first three weeks consisted of a lot of stuff like scrambled eggs, ricotta bake, ground beef, tuna salad, etc. 

Now, if you're having trouble with just liquids and getting water in then advancing should probably wait. I was not cleared for tuna until I was able to successfully drink water, and hold it down, then drink broth and hold it down.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

L. 68
on 2/2/16 1:08 pm

Hi CMR1075,

If you are sure that she didn't mean pureed food than i would follow what the handbook says it definately wont hurt but eating un pureed food might ..  What's the rush anyway..

Congratulations and Good Luck on your new self.

rblain

Tiki3211
on 2/4/16 6:13 am

Baby steps.  When I started eating I followed the sample menu my NUT gave me...big mistake...I ate everything she had on the menu on the first day.  By the evening I was in so much pain that I called my doctor.  Slowly ease into the foods and be sure to start wit soft food.  Good luck.

Most Active