Is 70lbs overweight too "skinny" for surgery?

Alpinist
on 1/25/16 7:28 pm, edited 1/25/16 7:28 pm

Hi,

I wonder if Its wrong to consider surgery being 70lbs overweight. (heaviest 260, current 250, goal 180).

On on hand I see most people here seem to be heavier than me.  On the other hand, the weight is having a negative impact on my health with sleep apnea, pre-diabetes, and lack of energy.

Ive been through some serious attempts to lose weight with varying success, but can't seem to make permanent gains.

I would be self-paying so insurance approval is not a factor.

Any insights appreciated.

frisco
on 1/25/16 7:44 pm

Whats your sex age and height?

And any health issues?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Alpinist
on 1/25/16 8:09 pm

Male, 6ft tall, heaviest 260, goal 180.  health problems include apnea, hypertension, pre-diabetes, low energy.

frisco
on 1/25/16 8:31 pm

With your doctors approval, I would say with your health issues you are a perfect candidate for WLS and the VSG may be a great choice.

Several caveats:

• I would look at the resolution of your pre diabetes as a main goal, only your doctor could make that call. The RNY and DS are more powerful tools for combating diabetes but may be a bit overkill like shooting a fly with a shotgun.
  • Find a good sleeve surgeon with a high success rate with the VSG as it is a non standardized procedures and results are all over the place.

Keep up the research and be well informed !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 1/26/16 2:27 am

If it were me knowing what I know now, I would do it. Waiting to be even more overweight seems silly.  Waiting for health issues to continue to develop seems silly. Starting to address the health issues seems smart. :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/26/16 2:29 am

Oh, and I am 6'2'' and currently weigh in at 178. Starting weight though was 330+. Don't wait for the weight to get that high. Certianly it is possible to lose that much, but statistically less likely. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

White Dove
on 1/26/16 5:18 am - Warren, OH

Although we do have some superstars in weight loss on this site, it is much more common for a patient to lose 100 pounds and regain 20.  There are a lot of us who work hard to maintain an 80 pound loss.

You may lose more than 70 pounds.  Your body will stop at the right point for it, then you will learn to maintain.  The only difference for me with surgery is that the diet and exercise now works to keep my weight under control.  Before surgery, I followed the same diet and exercise but always gained back whatever I lost. 

Seventy pounds is a lot of weight to be carrying around.  After the surgery you will have an opportunity to control your weight while being on a level playing field with those who are not suffering from the disease of obesity.

Without surgery you will still diet and struggle but never have a tool that will work for longtime maintenance.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JudithJohnson
on 1/26/16 5:34 am
VSG on 12/03/15

When i did my surgery, the girl at the front desk at the clinic was actually having surgery a few days before me. I looked at her and asked her what in the world she needed surgery for. She said "I am at least 40 lbs overweight". She got the surgery, and she said you are a candidate if you are simply overweight and want a healthier body and lifestyle. That really surprised me. So I would say go talk to a doctor and they will tell you whether you are a candidate or not. I would think with the issues you have (especially pre-diabetic!) you absolutely are.

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

hollykim
on 1/26/16 11:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 26, 2016 at 3:28 AM Pacific Time, Alpinist wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if Its wrong to consider surgery being 70lbs overweight. (heaviest 260, current 250, goal 180).

On on hand I see most people here seem to be heavier than me.  On the other hand, the weight is having a negative impact on my health with sleep apnea, pre-diabetes, and lack of energy.

Ive been through some serious attempts to lose weight with varying success, but can't seem to make permanent gains.

I would be self-paying so insurance approval is not a factor.

Any insights appreciated.

I totally would do it for 70# that I couldn't lose and keep off. Best thing I ever did for myself.

SDenae
on 1/27/16 2:14 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Go for it! Trust me, you don't want to have to take that "pre-" off of the diabetes, you want to deal with that before it becomes a permanent situation. Your BMI is 35.3. I think the general criteria is 40 or higher, or 35 or higher with a co-morbidity. (That may only be an insurance requirement, I'm not sure.) I think sleep apnea is an acceptable co-morbidity.

Best of luck!

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active