VSG 4 days ago in Tijuana

Losinglizvsg
on 1/17/16 1:40 pm
VSG on 01/13/16

Hi everyone. I am still figuring out this site but figured there's no better way to learn than to just jump in.? 

I had VSG 4 days ago at Trinity Medical in Tijuana. I never in my life thought I would go to a different country for surgery. I am so so glad my sister talked me into it! (We both had the procedure the same day.)

Our surgeon was Dr Mauricio Gutierrez. We got so so lucky! He is seriously the best. While we were there he was called on to help fix VSG mistakes made by another well known surgeon down there. Apparently this is not uncommon. He has had NO infections and NO deaths. After hearing some horror stories I just think it was God looking out for us and sending us to the right place.

While we were there they told us about a foundation they have that is covering half the surgery cost. It wasn't up and running yet, but I think it will be soon. It would bring the cost down to $2500. I asked them how that would benefit them and why they would do that. They said there have been too many deaths and serious injuries and it is giving the whole area a bad name and affecting the medical tourism. Their plan is to drive prices down and force the more greedy unscrupulous places out of business. 

That made sense to me. I am down 7 pounds since surgery. I still can't believe I actually did it!

Sorry this is so long. It's my first post and I will try to keep them shorter from now on. I just had such a good experience and I remember wondering how I would know if my surgeon was a good one. 

If any of you are on the fence about the surgery PLEASE feel free to message me or look them up at TrinityMedical.org (619) 438-0338.

I have at least 93 pounds left to lose, but I am incredibly excited that I have now started!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi! Welcome to the loser's bench and congratulations on your surgery! I'm glad you got great care in Mexico, I have heard good things about many doctors down there.  Congratulations on your loss, doesn't it feel great? You don't have to keep your posts short if you have a lot to say. Keep us posted on your loss, ask question if you need them answered about food and all other topics. OH is like a big extended family you sometimes get tough love but it's almost always good advice. Take things slow on your new tummy food wise and never try new food in public (I learned this the hard way), find exercise you like (for me it's walking but I hope as I lose more for it to become hiking and maybe running someday), and drink lots of water and take your vitamins and you'll do great. :)

Losinglizvsg
on 1/17/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 01/13/16

Thank you Kelly,

I realize now I probably should have put that in my journal and not as a forum post.  Oopsie!  It's a learning process. lol I definitely feel like a beginner at this point but I'm hoping to get lots of tips and product endorsements from this site.:)

Bufflehead
on 1/17/16 2:53 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Welcome! I hope you will stick around and join the conversations on many different topics. Since you are a newbie here, you may not know that when someone shows up and their first (and perhaps only) post is to rave about a particular surgeon in Mexico, many people who have been around the boards for a while just assume that the post is from a surgical patient coordinator/recruiter who is posing as an actual patient and trying to drum up business for their boss. These kind of paid posts by impostors are sadly kind of common here. So I encourage you to keep going and become a regular who talks about all sorts of things in the post-op world.

Losinglizvsg
on 1/17/16 4:45 pm
VSG on 01/13/16

I did not know that!  So sorry!  I am just still kind of on a high because I just had it 4 days ago, but had months of anxiety and anticipation and watching youtube before that. lol  I saw Mexico as my only option and just kept thinking how incredibly stupid it would be if I left my daughter without a mother just because I wanted to lose weight.  When everything went well and the surgeon and staff were so incredible, I feel like I want to tell the world!  I had no idea how to pick a surgeon and wished I could talk to someone to help me.  I feel like I want to send every overweight person there.  I want them to know there is hope and a chance at a more fulfilling life that doesn't include diets.

Once I download some pics on my computer, I will post them so you can see I am a real person;)

Thanks for the heads up!

dakruskie
on 1/17/16 3:14 pm

Congrats on your surgery! Can't wait to follow your journey!

SilverGirl2015
on 1/17/16 5:46 pm

Congratulations!  I too went to Mexico, and was very happy with the care I received.  i am so grateful that this was available to me, as my insurance does not cover WLS under any cir****tances.  This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I used to think LASIK surgery was, but now...I'm sure this is!  Best of luck on your weight loss journey - it's cool that you and your sister can do this together!

You will find a lot of good information on this site - very inspiring, very real, and very motivating!

Losinglizvsg
on 1/17/16 5:53 pm
VSG on 01/13/16

How long ago did you have it done? And how has it been? Head cravings are driving me insane!

SilverGirl2015
on 1/17/16 6:55 pm

My surgery was 8/1/15.  So, going on six months now.  It's going great!  i can't say i've really haven't had any cravings in particular...every once in a while I really want something crunchy and if I just have a couple of saltines, that seems to satisfy me.  Pre surgery, high protein low carb was my go to diet..so I'm happy and accustomed to eating that way.  Sweets have never been super important to me..and honestly that is one thing that if you stop eating, you will stop craving.  I think most people tend to "self  medicate" with sugar, and the more you eat the more you want.  Stop, and it will stop dogging you.  I am not following a rigid food plan, but am very focused on eating a healthy and balanced diet...lots of protein.   You will find that in order to get in the protein and nutrition you need, you will not have room to eat other non essentials.  I will share that I am in my late 50's.  I have no delusions that I will ever look like I'm 20, I will never look like a super model - I'm not trying to fit into a bkini by summer, but I will be happy and healthy.  I've already had to donate the contents of my wardrobe - I've already gone from a size 18-20 to where 14's are getting baggy.  Hang in there and you are going to be so surprised and so happy that you can do this - you can control the ********et me know if you have any specific questions I can answer - and there are so many people on here sharing their experience and receipes and strategies...we are blessed!

Most Active