Has anyone NOT lost any weight by 5 weeks out???

Grim_Traveller
on 1/8/16 1:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Your doctor may be a good surgeon, but he gives crappy nutrition advice.

Count calories. Calories matter. Now, and especially in the future, when you can eat even more. Telling people not to count calories is like telling someone in bankruptcy not to bother checking their bank balance. Count every calorie, even those in your vitamins.

Ditch the fruit. It's not good for you while you're trying to lose. It's sugar, extra calories, and will make you crave more food.

Everything should be focused on protein right now. If it isn't high in protein, don't stick it in your mouth.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Neonanrs
on 1/8/16 12:27 pm

But you want to do better than ok?  Reaching goal quickly and safely and then maintaining with ease.  Protect your sleeve and the restriction it gives you for the long haul.  You have to undereat your sleeve so it wont stretch.  That is why people are telling you to eat less calories and portion your food.  4 to 6 oz now will turn into 10-12 oz in a year.  You can do this, small portions dense protein, chicken breast is very dense and has a lot of texture it will sit in your sleeve longer and you will fill like there is something in your sleeve longer, mix it with a little light mayo so it will go down easier.  5 weeks are you still blending your food? Put the chicken in a blender than.  The goal is to lose that weight.  The doctor may be statified with you not losing much 5 weeks out but your not. Give the chicken a try and pay attention to the feeling of having something in your sleeve don't eat until your full, that's not the goal but being hungry all the time is not the goal either.  Also, drink something hot like chicken broth if your hungry between meals.

I hope this helps some, we are all here for you

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

SpikyP L.
on 1/8/16 12:29 pm - NM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.............I can.....WILL do this!!!

Donna L.
on 1/8/16 12:50 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can do this!  Just hang in there! :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ABair
on 1/8/16 12:32 pm
VSG on 01/14/15

First off your not a failure.  You may have hit a speed bump, but ok go back to basics.

Eat dense protein first, and no more than 4 ounces at a meal.  Chew, Chew, Chew, eat very slowly 4 ounces should take about 30 minutes to eat.  No drinking 30 minutes prior and 30 after eating.  You need to drink 64 ounces of fluid.  Liquids play a big roll in weight loss.  Stay away from soups, and slider foods.  Dense protein keeps you stomach full longer.  1000-1200 at 5 weeks is really a lot.  You going to stretch the stomach.  I am 1 year out and just now can eat about 1000 to 1200 calories, and some of those calories include Almonds which are high in calories.    Hope these suggestions help.

Lisa 

Donna L.
on 1/8/16 12:50 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I also drink coffee, but I waited six months, because even decaf can be hard on the stomach.  Both decaf and regular coffee can stimulate gastrin which makes more stomach acid, btw.  Might be better to wait, as acid can mimic hunger, so that may be why you are overeating, also.  So... decaf can also be an issue.  You really should be drinking almost all water.  

The part of the stomach they remove maaaaybe weighs a pound and a half on average.  Empty, the stomach weighs 2 pounds on average.  So, you definitely had weight loss.

I'm a surgical newbie six months out.  Currently, I eat 900 calories a day on a "bad" day (I've had seven bad days in the past six months, so they occur, but are infrequent given my BED), but I average 600-700 when I am not straying as well, and am down ~118 lbs since June 1st.  Five weeks out I was eating like maybe 400 calories on an awesome protein shake day.  I was not eating anywhere near 700 calories until recently.

Also, I never really eat snacks, just my three small meals.  I notice that snacks cause a huge amount of calorie and carb creep for me.  I find my desire to snack comes from head hunger and not real hunger.  I would eliminate snacks... 300 calories  is a lot to blow on snacks when you aren't losing weight!

As people have said, the reality is you are eating too much and you need to eat less.  You are also eating a ton of fruit.  Apples and grapes have a LOT of sugar that is natural.  Sugar stimulates insulin production, and insulin stimulates appetite and also signals your body to store fat.  Better to not eat a huge amount of fruit.  Fruit you can also eat way more of than dense protein.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

rocky513
on 1/8/16 3:41 pm - WI

5 to 6 ounce meals is still A LOT of food for someone 5 weeks out from surgery.  I was eating full liquids at that point and my meals were the equivalent of two Nyquil cups.  I ate 2 to 3 ounces every three hours and sipped fluid all day long.  

Eating too much can cause serious complications.  You can not trust your stomach to tell you when you are full.  Your nerves have been cut and they are not sending the proper messages to your brain.  After surgery we will never have the same full sensation that we had before.  Many of us used the full sensation as an emotional crutch.  It felt like comfort to us.  The worst thing you can do is to continue to chase that "full feeling".  It no longer exists.  You must change EVERYTHING about how you relate to food.

Measure your portion out and STOP EATING.  If you feel hunger IGNORE IT.  Hunger is not an emergency requiring immediate attention.  Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't eat when you feel hungry.  Your body has plenty to live on (in the form of fat).  If you are taking your vitamins and getting the required amount of protein and fluids, you will be nutritionally sound.  We did not become obese by knowing what  proper portion size is.  Use this time to measure your food and re-learn how to feed your body.  I am 5 years out from RNY and still measure my portions.  If I don't, I know I will over eat.  

Many of us have never allowed ourselves to truly feel hunger.  We feed ourselves at the first inkling of hunger.  We feed ourselves when we are bored, or celebrating, or stressed, or craving, but rarely are we truly hungry.  You have to really examine why you are over eating.  

On a side note:  If you are experiencing a gurgling noise in your stomach and are mistaking that sound for hunger, STOP!  It's not hunger.  Our new plumbing makes a lot of noise, especially early out from surgery.  Even at 5 years out, my stomach is very noisy. If I fed myself every time my stomach made noise, I would have gained back every pound.  A PPI, like Prilosec, may help with noise.

Get your head in the game.  The mental stuff like figuring out what the difference between head hunger and real hunger is the hardest part of the journey.

You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active