Has anyone NOT lost any weight by 5 weeks out???

Grim_Traveller
on 1/8/16 5:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You are eating way too much. It's really just as simple as that. The solution is hard, I know. But if you want to do well, your are going to need to find some way of eating much less. If you don't rein this in now, you are missing the best opportunity you will ever have of losing your excess weight.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Marquismark
on 1/9/16 2:31 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Maybe, but it's possible that the surgeon left too much fundus/antrum.  That's what happened to me.  I got plenty of (unsolicited) responses from people telling me it was my fault, that I wasn't working my tool, etc.  Then I got an X-ray and we saw the problem.  I was revised and have been losing a ton of weight ever since.

Ask for a copy of the surgical report and request a barium swallow X-Ray.  If you're having that problem so early out, it's unlikely that you stretched it yourself.

If the X-Ray comes back OK, then you will have to white knuckle it and cut out the carbs.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

iloveravens
on 1/8/16 5:57 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I know all plans are different, but at 5 weeks I was lucky to get 400 calories in. I think you should find a new nutritionist. That seems way off from most of us here. 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Tracy D.
on 1/8/16 7:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My advice to you would be as follows: 

1. Absolutely, positively drink at least 64 oz. of water - not anything else - per day.  Drink water like it's your job. 
  2. 1200 calories is WAY too much at this point in time. It says to me that you're either grazing off-and-on all day or eating too many carbs overall.  Because there's no way you could get in 1200 calories of pure protein. 
  3. Track your food in writing or with an electronic program like My Fitness Pal.  Make sure you stick to 800 calories or less; 80 grams of protiein or more; and less than 40 grams of carb per day.  Those numbers are magic. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 1/8/16 7:24 am

At 1000 calories a day, I gain. At 1200 calories a day, I would gain a lot. 

You must eat fewer calories, and you must focus on getting in your protein first at every meal. If you're eating the right amounts of protein, you won't have the room to eat anything else. If you're eating a lot of carbs, even if they're healthy carbs, they're going to slip through your sleeve without giving you any feeling of satiety.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but excess stomach acid can make mimic hunger. So ...

1. Check with your surgeon regarding a prescription for Omezaprole or other PPI med to reduce stomach acid.
  2. Also ask the surgeon about your lack of weight loss. My surgeon told me at 2 weeks post-op that my daily calorie goal should be at least 1000 calories. This was the only requirement that I ignored, at first because I simply couldn't eat that many calories yet and later because 1000 was simply too many calories for me to lose weight.
  3. At every meal, eat several ounces of dense protein before you eat anything else -- meat, chicken, fish, eggs, etc.
  4. Eat s-l-o-w-l-y. Take small bites. Chew thoroughly.
  5. If you still have room after the protein, eat a few bites of a low-starch vegetable like green beans, cooked spinach, or snow peas. You shouldn't be able to eat more than a few bites of these after eating protein.
  6. Stop eating before you feel full. Over the next half hour, your brain will catch up with your stomach and leave you feeling comfortably full. If you feel Thanksgiving-stuffed after every meal, you're eating too fast and too much.

The sleeve is only half the equation when it comes to weight loss. Your choices comprise the other half. Get to work, and you will lose weight.

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

TeashaLorna
on 1/8/16 7:52 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Good morning SpikyP,

What everyone else said here, follow it like your life depends on it, because IT DOES. I followed it to a T, until I reach goal I did not put anything in my mouth that was not on my plan (by that I mean no treats ever). You need to make the decision to follow it and stick to it. Guard your sleeve with your life, do not stretch it at this point. You can not feel your fullness properly yet your nerve endings have been cut. I ate 600 to 800 calories a day once I was at the 8 month point; before that I was lucky to get to 500 calories a day of protein. Always protein first, always!

What I did was searched out people on these boards who had what I wanted (lost their weight and were maintaining the loss) and I did what they told me to do; and I followed their advice to a T.

You can do this! You will be successful!!!

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/8/16 11:13 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On January 8, 2016 at 4:41 AM Pacific Time, SpikyP L. wrote:

I am five weeks out from surgery and have not lost any weight in four weeks !!!!!  I lost about 4 pounds the week after surgery when I was on the liquid diet and that's it !!!  The weight I lost from the time I went into surgery which is 4 pounds might've been just the stomach portion that they took from me !!!  Since then I have not lost 1 pound is there anyone else out there like me or am I just a complete failure ???    Since surgery I have had no problems I had my water I had my Optifast when it came time to eat I had no problems I was able to eat 6-7ounces  with no problem.   I have been eating from 1000 to 1200 cal a day.  I almost feel like I didn't have surgery but I know I can't eat as much as I used to.   I have trouble taking in water I've been taking in maybe about 25 to 30 ounces of water plus about 4-5 cups of decaf coffee a day.    I've had a few things along the line that I shouldn't have had  around the Christmas and New Year's holiday  but I haven't exceeded 1200 calories in one day including the snacks .   I'd say maybe 200- 300 cal would be snacks that I have eaten here and there.  Do you know of anyone that has not lost weight with the sleeve ???  Again am I the only one ???

At five weeks, I was eating between 600-800 calories per day.  At five weeks, I didn't feel full restriction since the severed nerves in my stomach were still healing.

You HAVE to increase your water intake to at least 64 ounces per day.  That's water, not coffee, not tea, not anything else.  

Do not depend on your stomach to tell you that you're full.  Weigh, measure and track your food - all your food - every day.  I think you're eating far too many calories at this stage and you're missing out on those early precious months during your honeymoon period when you lose the most weight you will during this entire journey.

If you "feel" hungry, it's probably stomach acid or head hunger.  Are you taking a PPI?  If you're not, stomach acid can mimic hunger pangs.

You're not a failure.  You're just not following your plan, and I think you know this.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Chanti_
on 1/8/16 11:49 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I cannot add anything beyond what has already been said.  Except.  Listen to the vets on this forum.  They know what it takes to achieve goal and maintain it.  Often for years and years.  They will give it to you straight, without the sugar coating, but they do it because they want you to succeed as they have.

I do know of a person called Penny on "My 600lb Life" on TLC, she did not lose with her VSG.  You should Youtube her show it's amazing how much denial she is in.

I can't imagine any NUT recommends 1200 cals @ 5 weeks.  So are you off plan?  It's a slippery slope thinking you know better then your health care providers.  Fruit is a poor choice to have on a daily basis.  If this is on plan sorry, but your NUT is cray cray and you need to find a new one.

Dense protein first!  It's like a mantra with most of us... 

Repeat after me Protein... Yum... Protein... Yum.. 

tdelson
on 1/8/16 11:52 am, edited 1/8/16 3:54 am
VSG on 10/12/15

I am about 10 weeks out and still have the 4 oz meals and 2  2 oz snacks. How do you take your coffee? Black or cream and sugar? Are you eating just because you can or because you are hungry? If its hunger are you sure it's real hunger or just gas?

SpikyP L.
on 1/8/16 11:57 am - NM

My decaf coffee has powdered cream and one splenda and one equal....which I recently changed to Truvia instead.  I will start today at eating only 4-6 oz meals.  I just saw the Doctor today for one month checkup....he seems to think I am doing ok....just stressed to stay on the plan!!!!! He said not to count calories but to keep to our plan....fresh fruits vegetables, protein....no additives, etc.  I can do this!!!!!

Most Active