Acid reducer for hunger? also, liquid diet question

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 1:59 pm

Oh no I dont get chicken, at least not in reality, but in my brain my jello is chicken :P 

Mamba
on 1/6/16 2:04 pm - Middlesboro, KY
VSG on 01/15/16

lol I thought you said you got chicken. I've got chicken on the brain as well! 

Betty Philpot

Juligan
on 1/6/16 2:46 pm

From my research every doctor's plan is different. My surgeon requires 2 weeks pre-op "liquid" diet to shrink the liver to make the surgery easier to accomplish. If you have a fatty liver it's 4 weeks. Fortunately the pre-op diet I will have includes 1/2 cup of cream of wheat or oatmeal in the morning and allows a select few raw veggies to munch on "if you are still hungry after consuming all your protein." The "if you're still hungry" part just cracks me up!

Pre-Surgical Diet Daily Requirements: ? Drink 4 servings of UNJURY® each day or as recommended by your dietitian. Mix two servings of UNJURY with milk (for lactose intolerance, soy or lactose-free milk may be substituted); then for the other two servings, use Non-Milk mixing ideas below. ? Include at least 6 servings each day from the food list below. ? Drink water or sugar-free beverages as needed during the day. ? If drinking milk causes digestive problems*, then include an additional (5th) serving of UNJURY to be sure protein intake is adequate. Use the mixing ideas below for NonMilk. ? Consult your dietitian or physician for fiber recommendations.

Food List: 1 cup Tomato or V-8 Juice, ½ cup cream of wheat or oatmeal, 1 cup sugar-free pudding or UNJURY Hi-Protein Pudding, Sugar-free Jell-O or UNJURY Hi-Protein Jell-O, 6 ounces Dannon Light N Fit yogurt or sugar-free yogurt, ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, Fat free raw vegetables as allowed by your dietitian

Meal Plan Example: Morning meal - 1 Serving of Chocolate or Vanilla UNJURY Protein mixed with skim milk, ½ cup cream of wheat or oatmeal, 1 cup V-8 or tomato juice. Snack - 1 cup sugar-free pudding or UNJURY High Protein Pudding. Midday meal - 1 Serving of UNJURY Unflavored Protein mixed with 8 ounces of Crystal Light (Sunrise Classic Orange, Raspberry Ice or other fruit flavor), 6 ounces of Dannon Light N Fit yogurt. Snack - Sugar-free Jell-O or UNJURY High Protein Jell-O. Evening meal - 1 Serving of UNJURY Chicken Soup Flavor mixed with warm water, 1 cup V-8 or tomato juice, ½ cup unsweetened applesauce. Bedtime snack - 1 Serving of Chocolate or Vanilla UNJURY Protein mixed with skim milk, 6 ounces of Dannon Light N Fit yogurt.

Pre-Surgical Diet: Approved Raw, Non-Starchy Vegetables - The following raw, non-starchy vegetables can be eaten if and only if: 1. You have already met your 115 gram per day protein goal; 2. You still feel hungry. These raw vegetables may be eaten with plain Greek yogurt mixed with Mrs. Dash but no other dressings/dips. Do not cook the vegetables before eating them. This includes steaming, boiling, baking, microwaving, frying, etc. GREEN WHITE Cucumber Cauliflower Celery Onions Broccoli Radishes Green peppers Mushroom Green beans Spinach Lettuce Kale Zucchini Green onion

sds0029
on 1/6/16 3:40 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hey there.  Our surgery date is the same,but for me in 2015.  My preop plan was for 2 weeks consisting of all liquids with one lean meal each day; no carbs or soda.  The day before surgery all liquids.  This worked well for me but I tell you my mind was ready.  Best of luck to you; your decision is the best.  

sarah2010
on 1/6/16 4:04 pm
RNY on 01/12/16

Me!! But mine is 1 week CLEAR liquids with the exception of 2 protein shakes. And I have been sooooo nauseous and hungry at he same time. And I'm sick so no voice, cough, congestion. That makes it worse :( I'm taking Zofran for my nausea 

Amber2280
on 1/6/16 4:09 pm

As a Surgery Nurse I can assure you that the pre-op diet is VERY important and is not just a form of medieval torture!

While it may vary a little per surgeon, each one is design for the purpose of causing your liver to flush the fat that it stores. This causes the liver to shrink drastically and thus makes the surgery much easier. When the liver is too large it can make the surgery very difficult, if not impossible, and also dangerous for the patient. We have had to cancel sugeries before because it was instantly apparent that the patient had not followed the pre-op diet and the surgeon was worried about damaging the liver trying to access the stomach underneath it. 

Hope the info helps you persevere...I know how hard it is to follow the pre-op...but I also know it is for a VERY good reason!

Hang In There!

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

LosinginAZ
on 1/7/16 7:43 am

Oh I bet! I have heard from some people that they went to Olive Garden the night before surgery! lol People are nutso. The last thing I want is to get there, have them sedate me and then bam, they dont do surgery. I will not let that happen. I am on day 3 now, doing okay. I am super light headed, have a headache, and damn am I grouchy, but besides that I am okay. Went to sleep hungry last night, which is hard for me, but I did it. The only thing that drives me nuts is the dry heaving when I am hungry. Yesterday I was at work, sitting in a courtroom, and I had to stifle a gag. Not fun! 

Amber2280
on 1/7/16 5:32 pm

I wonder if you would get an relief from Zofran or another anti-nausea med?? It might be worth asking the surgeon or even your PCP. :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Most Active