Happy Three Months!! (with picture)

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 7:25 am, edited 1/5/16 11:27 pm

You are doing fantastic! One thing I can say, and this is coming from a fat person, when those around you are eating healthy and losing weight, and you are not, sarcasm and making fun of how little they are eating is a defense mechanism. For the longest time my sister has been eating healthy and working out, and I always would tell her to eat more, or work out less. I did not want to be the only fat person. I realize now how bad it was to do that to her, to belittle her work. It is hard to see past your own self hate when you are super overweight. Misery loves company. 

Do not let them get you down. It is not because they do not love you, and I guarantee you are inspiring them, but they are not ready to change yet. When they do, they will appreciate you. 

Keep up the good work! :) 

Oh and one more thing, go penguins :P 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

paflyersgal
on 1/6/16 8:49 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Oh.. Those are fighting words... Lol. (The go penguins bit.. Lol) 

Thank you so much. Maybe one day they will see the hurt in their words.. Maybe not. Either way, I know that Ian doing the best I can do for myself and that's what matters. 

Best of wishes to you always!

Karen

psychoticparrot
on 1/6/16 7:35 am, edited 1/5/16 11:35 pm

"My feelings were so hurt.. Why did my own mother treat me that way?"

Why did your mother treat you disrespectfully? Because she doesn't respect you. Why doesn't she respect you? Because it's not in her character to respect you, and that's something you're not going to be able to change. It's about her, not you. Some people spend most of their lives trying to earn their parents' approval with no success. Such a waste of time. So your instinct to learn to let her comments roll off you is a good one. Keep working on that. Worry about things you can change, like getting back on track with healthy food choices. And if you get back on track, then you don't even have to worry about that. Life's too short to worry about things you can't do anything about.

Almost 100 pounds lost from your high weight, with more than half of it coming off before surgery? That's impressive. Think more about that and less about your mom's criticism.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

paflyersgal
on 1/6/16 9:00 am
VSG on 10/06/15

I agree with you. I truly worked hard to get to where I am and there isn't one person in this world that will stop me from reaching my goals. It's all about me. I don't mean to sound stuck up or ungrateful .. But this journey is about me getting healthy and about my choices and facing my own struggles with food and weight. It isn't about her or her feelings. I am done with worrying myself with what others think. 

Karen

Neesie57
on 1/6/16 5:26 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

If your mother has always been like this, then she will never change.  You can only change yourself and it sounds like you are doing what you need to do that.  

Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss.  You look beautiful and will be successful in your life because it's about you right now.  Surround yourself with people who do support you and you will be happy.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Shel25
on 1/6/16 8:08 am

You are beautiful before and after but love the lightness in spirit in the after picture!  What a difference the last months have made, right?

About moms.  My mom has never had any sense of what private means in general.  She also has zero empathy about obesity/drive to eat.  She is a tiny person, eats well and exercises.  Works for her, why couldn't I do that, too?  She was in no-way judgmental about the surgery (I was worried) but within hours of telling her she told many people that I never would have.  

I will absolutely not tell her how much I have lost no matter how many times she asks.  One thing I realized is that she doesn't have issues with the number on the scale so she has no understanding of how painful it is for me to talk about it, especially now that I have lost the weight.    I did finally tell her my current BMI which satisfied her.  

I'm not sure why I told you all that except to say that this is your mom's issue and you can let it go.   Don't worry about it. Maybe you will eventually understand her better or maybe not.  I wouldn't go as far to say that she doesn't respect you from this single post. People sometimes don't know what to say (like my mom) and don't realize it would be best not to say anything.  Don't give her information that you don't want out there.  It will be better once you are in a different state (I live in a different state from my parents.)    Love your aunt, by the way!  

Congratulations!  I look forward to the rest of your journey!!!

PS, those vodka shots! Heavens! I am glad you said that you won't do that again.  

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

paflyersgal
on 1/6/16 9:14 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Thank you very much! I wish you the best always!

I have come to realize no matter what I do in life nothing will ever be the "right" thing in my mothers eyes. There is no pleasing her, so I have decided to stop trying. She doesn't approve of any of my life choices. But ya know what..it isn't her life. It's mine. I'm happy, that's what matters. 

Karen

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/6/16 9:13 am - MI

You look wonderful! Keep it up!! 

We can't control what others day!! It sounds like your Aunt was proud of you and happy for you and your Mom's comments didn't sway her opinion of you! Everyone has opinions and comments. Usually its about them and their issues and not you! Keep doing you and don't let them bring you down.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

paflyersgal
on 1/6/16 9:22 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Thanks so much!! Best wishes to you always! 

Karen

suzyq584
on 1/6/16 10:18 am

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS!  You have done an amazing job in 3 short months.  Just imagine what another 3 will bring!

You sound just like me regarding the holidays.  Those 2 weeks were killer on my eating, vitamin and water regime but it is over and I'm back to 100% on plan.    I too am thankful I didn't gain any weight.

Everyone has already said what I would tell you about your mother and sister.  I will just add, don't you dare let them take one iota of your happiness, proudness (not a real word!), etc...away from you!  You WORKED HARD for every ounce you lost.  Surgery is NOT the easy way out nor is it the magic answer however; it is not your job to defend or explain that to those less intelligent about it than us!  

I can't wait to follow your progress!  

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Most Active