Stress Eating Six Months Out

Donna L.
on 1/5/16 2:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've been having issues with stress eating today.  Being pro-active, yesterday I cooked and froze 35 meals for the next few weeks, all portioned and nutritionally correct.  Acknowledging that I'm having trouble is the first step in avoiding it, so that's why I'm posting here today.  

An increase in my rent, a surprise $1000 bill (!) from the heart test pre-op in March, and my last semester in grad school are going on!  Eek!  My greatest comfort is surgery - I never could have handled all this without it, even with the dumb impulse to stress eat!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Dan1962
on 1/5/16 3:46 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

The best part of your story is you recognize the issue.  Its difficult, but the recognition is the hardest part.  Good luck!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/16 7:37 pm - MI

You're being proactive! Good for you! Stay on top of it! Stress is awful and can make us do bad things! Good luck to you!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Tracy D.
on 1/6/16 7:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hey Donna - glad to see you being pro-active to address the stress eating.  Meal prep is an awesome tool - good for you! 

Life sounds super-stressful right now.  Give yourself credit for recognizing the problem and quickly addressing it with positive action. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

JoeyJo
on 1/6/16 8:41 pm, edited 1/6/16 12:42 pm - NJ

My dad died in April 2014 when I was about 10 months out. I struggled really bad with emotional eating and was off the rails for a while. 

Preparation and planning saved me. 

My mother died 2 days ago. It was expected but not for months.  I thought we had more time. I am cored again!  This time, my eating is under control but I have not been drinking enough. My lips are starting to peel. Today, I made a concerted effort to drink a lot, which had never been an issue for me. 

The stress, sadness and fear are overwhelming. Bad food causes more physical pain.  Good food and lots of water help even if it's just making my body function with less physical pain. 

I'm glad that both my parents saw me get close to goal. 

NerdySquirrel
on 1/7/16 9:49 am

So sorry for your recent loss JoeyJo - hang in there and lean on the community for encouragement if you need it.

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

Donna L.
on 1/7/16 1:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm so sorry for your recent loss.  Thank you for sharing your story with us!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active