Pain almost worse than childbirth!

chynadoll67
on 12/16/15 1:23 pm

Hello Everyone!

I stalk daily but post very little. I want to first say I truly appricate all of the support and advice I receive when I am reading these post. I never realize that this would be my lifeline when it came to those things related to VSG! I even question some of the advice given by my surgeon and NUT (i.e eating potatoes and pasta) becasue I have followed this forum so closely.

Now to discuss this pain I thought was going to take me out at lunch today. My plan said that I could have soft meat such as salmon, fish, ground beef, chicken etc. No fiberous meats. Today was my first day at it... well, I went to lunch and ordered salmon. I took a bite and chewed well. It felt okay... I took a couple more bites, again chewing well in between before swallowing. When...ALL OF A SUDDEN...I began experiencing pain right below my breast like none other. It would leave and come back off and on for about 30 minutes. It literally took my breat away! Needless to say, I didn't eat anymore. I was thinking maybe because it was too dry.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated

Angela

MaraFaith
on 12/16/15 1:53 pm - denham springs, LA

Its in the right place to be your gallbladder and salmon has enough fat to cause you to have an attack. Make an appt with your doctor asap and go to the ER of it happens again. Not trying to scare you, but this is cause for concern. My gallbladder nearly killed me four years ago.

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

chynadoll67
on 12/16/15 2:07 pm

I had my gallbladder removed in 2011. I really believe the salmon was too dry. I'm in that trial and error phase and I believe I made an error... Thank you so much for replying

emelar
on 12/16/15 2:02 pm - TX

Some advice:

1.  Just because your plan says you can, and your doctor cleared you, doesn't mean that your stomach is going to agree.  Your stomach has given you a big, old warning sign.  Back up and do liquids/purees for a day to let it settle down.

2.  Sauces are your friend.  Add a little salsa, a little mayo, a little yogurt, a little gravy to your meat to make it more tolerable. 

3.  Wait longer between swallows.  It takes a little while for the food to work its way down your esophagus and to your stomach.

4.  Never try a new food in public.  Do your testing at home where you can hurl at your leisure, if it becomes necessary, and where you can pay total attention to your eating.  It's too easy to get distracted when you're out.

chynadoll67
on 12/16/15 2:11 pm

Thank you for the advice.... I agree on all four counts! As I was agonizing in the restaurant I was saying a couple of those very things to myself and the others I had not considered. I will be definitely be taking your advice.

Thank you so much for replying!

happyteacher
on 12/16/15 2:38 pm

Emelar is spot on, and ESPECIALLY about the don't try a new food in public- or at work!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 12/16/15 2:22 pm, edited 12/16/15 6:23 am

Before I even clicked on your thread, my immediate thought was "gall bladder." Some of my friends who had gall bladder surgery described the pain from a gall bladder attack in the exact same way -- like childbirth.

A pain that severe needs to be checked out by your surgeon as soon as possible, no matter what the cause.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Tink3125
on 12/16/15 5:06 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

I actually use a toddler spoon/fork so my bites are smaller. Then follow what my doc said take one bite, chew for 20 seconds, set spoon or fork down for 20 seconds and it should take at least 20 minutes and your meal should be done. I'm usually full before the 20 minutes.

Tink

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/17/15 4:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes! I got a pack of toddler silverware and itty-bitty kid dishes, I look kind of silly with them but they REALLY helped at first.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MariaFernanda
on 12/16/15 7:54 pm - Mexico

i had my surgery almost 3 years ago and the same thing happened to me more than once....you just have to take it by ear and see what foods you are going to be able to eat at the beginning and what foods you have to wait a little longer to eat....the salmon was probably a little dry.....dont worry everything will be ok....i suggest to talk to the dr. if it makes you feel better.

Gastric Sleeve July 2013:    MBC   Mexicali Bariatric Center

Most Active