Breaking Up Your Relationship With Food

Kathy S.
on 12/5/15 9:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

psychoticparrot
on 12/5/15 10:52 am

Interesting article. When I had sleeve surgery, I broke up with junk carbs, who I thought were my friends but turned out to be abusive. They still call from time to time, but I tell them to get lost. The few times I make the mistake of meeting up with them, I get burned once again. They're bad news.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/15 12:23 pm, edited 12/5/15 4:24 am

I'm with you: interesting article, but I think it's very superficial at the same time. It illustrates the beginning. The article, IMO, is mostly about cognitive behavioral strategies to change behaviors. For some this may suffice. For me, it was not enough. I had to work on a deeper level to understand and accept on multiple levels the severity of my food issues-both emotional and physical.  I've mentioned before the dark places I've visited to get to where I am now - which is very much at peace with my eating, my "demons" and trigger foods and how I choose to eat - both "on plan" and "off plan".

I think far too many people minimize the actual physical effect foods can have on the body which in turn will influence behavior and food choices. I think if more people understood the hormonal and chemical changes that occur when certain foods are eaten, they would be better equipped to forgive themselves for their behaviors and learn how to accept their truths about foods and move forward to a normalcy around food and eating. 

There is nothing wrong with using food to compliment emotions. Food has been a central part of celebration and solace in multiple cultures for centuries. It's only when food becomes a problem, like alcohol does for the alcoholic, that food has negative impacts on our lives. 

SDenae
on 12/5/15 1:48 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Kairk, can you recommend a book or website to learn about the hormonal and chemical changes that occur with food? I find that subject very interesting, but I don't know where to get started. TIA

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

psychoticparrot
on 12/5/15 3:48 pm

I'm sure kairk has very good recommendations, and I would like to see them, too. Meanwhile, here are a few of my favorites on the subject of how foods affect the body physically and emotionally:

Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules To Maintain the Body You've Earned, by Barbara Berkeley, M.D. (For maintainers, but good info for those still losing weight)

Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease, by Robert H. Lustig, M.D.

Eat To Live, by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

psychoticparrot

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/15 5:30 pm, edited 12/5/15 9:30 am

The two I always recommend you start with are Fat Chance by Lustig (Psychoticparrot mentioned that one already) and Fitness Confidential by Vinnie Totorich. I have read Eat to Live by Fuhrman, but have some strong issues with his approach to eating - it is completely unsustainable for me. 

If you want my copy of Eat to Live, I'll send it to you. I have no further use for it. Just send me a PM.

Most Active