Tomorrow is the big day

ubserved
on 11/29/15 1:32 pm

I'm going to have to agree with I think it was Kairk, if I spelled your name incorrectly I apologize. I had doubts all the way until they rolled me into the OR. I had my surgery on 11/17 and am about to start the puree phase (Oh joy) on Tuesday. I woke up feeling fine, a little discomfort, nothing I would even call pain as in "oh god that hurts". I was up walking in a few hours, just down to the nurses station and back hoping my backside wasn't hanging out of the rear of the gown. (I checked, no worries) ;) An hour or two later, I took myself for a walk unassisted around the entire floor, surprising the staff at how fast I was moving. Even bumped into the surgeon in the hall and he was surprised I was moving like I was. The self administered pain pump, they told me when they discontinued it the next morning that they were shocked I had only used a tiny bit of it, mostly I did to help me sleep in that piece of junk they call a hospital bed. The next day when I started fluids again, the worst part of it was when I took 1/3 of an ounce sip of water and felt like I was going to hurl. They had anti-nausea meds waiting and shot it into the IV and I felt better almost immediately.  So sip sip sip is a mantra you will need to remember. The drive home was an effort, I live like 10 miles from the hospital and every bump, every turn was making me feel nauseous. The next day I going drink a bit more at a time, by the third day after surgery, I had no problem drinking. I think wow, how do people keep posting they have a problem getting enough fluids weeks after surgery. Yes I know everyone is different. I suppose I have always healed quickly. Just take it one day at a time, your body will tell you how you are feeling and what you are capable of. If I recall, you mention on a previous post that you lived 2 hours away from the hospital, if you have a problem with nausea, I would recommend grabbing a hotel for a night after you get discharged if you start feeling nauseous on the drive home, otherwise you are in for a miserable several hours. Either way, good luck to you.

Amber2280
on 11/29/15 2:10 pm

Yay! Congrats! I will be a week behind you, my surgery is the 7th! My body is really not happy with me and this pre-op diet....but I just have to make it 7 more days! I am excited for you! 

Blessings! 

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Tink3125
on 11/29/15 2:31 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

Thanks!

Hang in there! You got this! It will go by so fast!

Ready2goNOW
on 11/29/15 2:13 pm

I have anxiety disorder yet I had minimal nervousness on my surgery day. I had worked hard and was ready to go. I think my lack of anxiety had alot to do with my mindset.

I had no mixed feelings about having surgery!

I agree a positive outlook is the best approach. I went in ready to deal with any of the side effects like nausea, pain, etc. and my only complaint was feeling fatigued for a few weeks.

You'll be fine! Congrats!

Kathy

daquila
on 11/29/15 4:06 pm

Good luck. My surgery is Tuesday, Dec. 1st so I get to do the 24hr liquid tomorrow. Hope all goes well for you. 

Keep us posted. 

Becky

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/30/15 9:52 am - MI

See you on the losers bench!! :)

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

momof4mn
on 11/30/15 10:45 am - Minnetonka, MN
VSG on 12/10/15

Hi Tink,

I just started my pre op diet (DAY2)...  My surgery is 12/10/2015.  I feel just as you do.  But I want you to know that you and many people have giving me the courage and hope I need to get through mine.  Praying for a great recovery!!  Good Luck 

Stephanie

Age: 40 Height: 5'9" Highest Weight: 360 Current Weight: 326 Goal Weight: 170

Most Active