Knee replacement dangerous @ my weight, dr suggested VSG.

Cherylr7777
on 12/19/15 10:23 am - North Las Vegas , NV

HI Pat- Did you decide to go forward?  Were you at the seminar?  Almost 100 people!  I couldn't believe it!  

Pat I.
on 12/19/15 5:44 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Hi Cheryl,  Yes I was at the seminar with my husband.  We were probably 5 rows from the front.  We should have worn a hat or something to recognize each other.  Wow, you already have a surgery date?  Are you self pay?  That's great, I just got my call yesterday from them telling me the insurance requirements.  I have to do a 4 month diet first, and can't even get into the Wellness center to start that until sometime in Feb.  So it looks like this will be a drawn out process for me.  I hope you'll keep me updated on your progress and any helpful info.  would be appreciated.  Congratulations, Pat.

Cherylr7777
on 12/30/15 8:58 am - North Las Vegas , NV

HI Pat- I just saw this.  Sorry for the late reply.  Yes , my insurance specifically excludes anything barbaric. So I am going to self-pay.  My husband and I were about 6 rows from the front on the left side (by the bathroom).  I meet with the surgeon today....with pre-op appt on Jan 20 and surgery Jan 25.  I will keep you posted.  Hang in there....everyone tells me the months of pre-work are worth it.  It all seems to be happening fast (with self-pay) but it feels like it is meant to be...so onward I go! ?  Happy new year!  Cheryl

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 7:11 pm

Oh my gosh, what a situation you're in. I hope your sleeve surgery is approved quickly and that it helps resolve your medical problems. 

psychoticparrot

cmcelfish
on 12/2/15 4:21 am

I thank you all for writing I welcome your support . I would draw into surgery tomorrow if they would do it now. As you all know so many hoops to jump thru. My medical issues are complicated by being a full time caregiver for my wife. I love carding for her and love her  it adds to my worries. I just want to get surgery done loose weigh and hope for an early spring. Everyone have a great day

Joe

Ready2goNOW
on 12/2/15 12:11 pm

Hi Cheryl!

You ask good questions...I think a lot of us have been in your shoes...

I chose to have VSG at 58 due to getting hit with a few serious health issues when I hit my mid-50' s that included cancer, a heart problem and severe sleep apnea. I was also in pain from my knees...I was a 'heavyweight' at 5'9 & 350 pounds.

I knew if I didn't take action my health would only get worse. My biggest fear was becoming immobile & dependent on others.

Unlike a lot of posters I was never successful at losing weight. but when I began the program I began taking it off...75 pre-op.

Just had surgery last month and weight is still coming off.

I think for me I reached a point where I knew I had to change or I wasn't going to be here much longer. Since you are older and more interested in the health vs. cosmetic benefit I think you'd do well.

Best of luck as you start this journey!

Kathy

Cherylr7777
on 12/2/15 3:14 pm - North Las Vegas , NV

Hi Ready- thank you so much for sharing your story!  I have so much to learn but much like your username....I am ready to go now!  I will post my progress,  new lease on life....that is what I need....thanks for the encouragement!  Cheryl

ABair
on 12/2/15 1:48 pm
VSG on 01/14/15

I had my VSG so I would not regain.  I could always lose weight over 100 pounds three times, but regained by overeating, and eating the wrong things.  My sleeve doesn't like sugar so that makes not eating sweets easy, and when I eat over 4 ounces I feel awful so I do not over eat.  I will have my 1 year anniversary January 14th and to date I'm down 210 pounds!

Go for it I really don't think you'll regret it.  My only regret is I didn't do it sooner!

Lisa 

Cathy W.
on 12/2/15 2:34 pm

I had RNY surgery in 2001 and had a total knee replacement in December 2014.  I got down to my goal weight but my knees are both bone on bone.  My left knee was so bad that I was in pain all the time. It would even wake me up in the middle of the night it was so bad.

It was a rough surgery and a long, recovery.  When I told my surgeon that I'd had WLS in 2001, he was a bit concerned about potential regain.  He was very caring but told me that if I gained weight to the point that my BMI was ever over 40 that it would cut the duration of my new knee by 50% to 60%.  Talk about added motivation....that did it!  I don't want to have knee surgery again!  

I would have your WLS to lose weight, then the knee replacement surgery. Losing weight will help you and extend the life of your new knee.  If you are bone on bone, my experience is when it is to that point, you'll need a new knee as weight loss probably won't be enough.  

Best of luck to you!!

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Cherylr7777
on 12/2/15 3:08 pm - North Las Vegas , NV

Thank you, Cathy.  Very encouraging! 

Most Active