Question on VSG and GERD

deby_S
on 9/19/16 3:22 pm - TX

I am interested in what the outcome has been on your GERD.  I am six years post op VSG and have developed horrible GERD.  I am t aking a ton of meds and basically an alkaline diet.  If I stay very strict things calm down, but anything can set it off.  I can't take all these meds forever, but never wanted to do an RNY because of the vitamin deficiencies I have heard about.  I would appreciate any info you can share.

Deby

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.    
Donna L.
on 9/21/16 10:29 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hey Deby!  

I am 14 months post op and still have GERD.  Eating a low carb diet helps tremendously, but I still take omeprazole 40g 1x daily.  Dexilant worked the best, but my copay is $50 a month which is very expensive.  I would say it's well-controlled, though, at the moment.  

Low carbohydrate diets and whole versus processed foods definitely help me, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Maria27
on 11/22/15 4:49 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I encourage you to research RNY a bit more because RNY is not inherently more frightening than VSG. Personally, I was more frightened of needing a revision surgery. Also, research the link between long term PPI use and bone loss. Using high does of PPIs for many years has been linked to osteoporosis. Taking medication for the rest of your life is a big deal.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

animallover1247
on 11/22/15 6:13 pm

Well, one of many reasons I don't want bypass is because I am already deficient in Vitamin D and I am anemic. It took 10 months to get my Vitamin D up from 10 to 40. I take 750 mg of iron daily and my levels always hover on deficient. I do have a hiatial hernia that he is going to repair/fix at the time of surgery..maybe that would cure my GERD? 

I am going to call my surgeons office and see what he says. 

Tracy D.
on 11/23/15 1:10 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, I do know someone IRL who had to convert to RNY after VSG.  She was probably 3 years post-op and her GERD symptoms weren't controlled with any lifestyle or medication changes.  So she chose to convert to RNY.  It solved that problem.    

No idea on the prevalence of the problem (how often it happens).  I don't think it's super common but I've heard of it in these forums.  And honestly, if I was told I had to have bypass surgery to cure my GERD, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'd much rather do that than risk esophageal or stomach cancer, which are much, much bigger problems and excess acid has a direct link to those cancers.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 9/19/16 4:59 pm

I came close. I had a reoccurrence of a hiatel hernia. The doc said going into the surgery that he might have to revise to a bypass if he couldn't fix it (2nd one, not much to work with).  I was ok, but if I have another hiatel hernia that makes it tough to eat again, the next step would be revise to bypass. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active