Ok, I've got to know.....

twiddleDee
on 11/20/15 5:00 am

I keep hearing/reading different things: "your stomach is like a newborns, so don't put anything in it you wouldn't feed a baby"  sounds ok, if you are at 2wks out, but how long to use this example??

With that in mind, can you have hot coffee/tea?  again, I ask myself "would I give this to a baby? no, of course not.... can you have truvia/stevia in it ?  I see you are allowed splenda, but wasn't sure on stevia. What's the difference?  Thanks more informed sleevers!!

Dee 

Bufflehead
on 11/20/15 5:07 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I was brought decaf coffee by the hospital the day after my surgery, so the "newborn baby stomach" simile was never in play for me. I had to wait on caffeinated drinks for 3 months, but hot drinks were never an issue.

I was never given any restrictions on sweeteners other than no sugar and no honey.

twiddleDee
on 11/20/15 6:23 am

Wow, that soon after surgery!  Everybody seems to be told different things, I get that, just like to know what works for everyone and maybe I can follow suit!  thanks Dee

psychoticparrot
on 11/20/15 5:49 am

The advice about "newborn baby food" is more about texture than content. While your stomach is still healing, the textures progress from liquids to pureed foods to soft foods to regular foods. Coffee and tea are liquids, so you can have them, with your surgeon's okay. If you're going to use artificial sweeteners, it doesn't matter what kind you use -- they do nothing to alter the texture of your foods or liquids. Hope that clears things up.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

twiddleDee
on 11/20/15 6:26 am

thanks, it does somewhat!  So hot/cold doesn't matter, it sounds like.  I have been asking myself about "serving to a baby",  No more "lukewarm" food for me!! ha! Dee

Sandra F.
on 11/20/15 5:54 am

I drank coffee when my surgeon cleared me for regular foods, with splenda.

twiddleDee
on 11/20/15 6:26 am

How far out were you for that?

sheila0
on 11/20/15 7:02 am - Magnolia, TX

I am in my 2nd week and I have had mint tea it dose have caffeine and does brother me.  I like everything hot, but doesn't stay due to taking time to drink it. 

My doctor ok light caffeine starting the 2nd week.

Sheila

Sheila

Age: 57 | Height: 5'6| Surgery Date: 11/10/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Surgery Weight: 272 | Goal Weight:162 | Current Weight: 258 | WL so far: 14 lbs

twiddleDee
on 11/20/15 3:51 pm

I know different dr's tell different things!!   I am going to try it, little sips and see how I do.  I use to like everything hot also (temperature, not seasonings!) but not been having "hot' things, only lukewarm.  But, it was doable......   Thanks Dee 

psychoticparrot
on 11/20/15 8:35 pm

Hot is okay; scalding hot probably not so much, at least in the early weeks. 

psychoticparrot

Most Active