Post Op 3 dyas...starting to turn the corner

dudearino
on 11/19/15 1:31 pm

Just an update for anyone having the surgery soon, and my experience.  I considered the surgery for 18 months before going through it.

I am a 37 year old male, highest weight 337, weight before pre-op diet 312, day of surgery 293. 

Pre-op diet was two weeks 1 protein bar, 5 servings of protein shakes/broth soups.  Found it hard to get more than 1000 calories by the end of the pre-op diet, sometimes around 600 calories and I felt fine.  The first 3 days were the worst and I attribute that to breaking the carb addiction. 

Day of surgery was long, I had surgery at 945am, I woke up in the recovery room and had nausea, they gave me some medication and I also had a patch behind my ear before the surgery that was supposed to help.

I ended up staying in the recovery room 8 hours as they were looking for a room for me, this sucked and I already made a complaint to the hospital.  Finally got to a private room late Monday night and slept ok.  Wasn't allowed to drink anything until the next day when they did a leak test.  I used swabs dipped in water to hydrate my mouth.  The leak test was good and I started to drink small amounts of water.  They gave me the choice to stay one more night but decided against it.  I did throw up as we were leaving the hospital in the car.  Also, threw up when I got home. 

The next day was tough to get many calories, sipped on about half a protein shake throughout the day, a spoon full of yogurt, and a spoon full of jello, got my 64 oz. of liquids.  Also, got 3 decent walks in, each one further than the last.

Slept great last night, 12+ hours, I am a side sleeper and was able to comfortably sleep on my side last night that made a difference. Things are going down better today. 

I have not taken any pain meds or nausea medicine since I left the hospital, just sore at the incision points.  I am using the patchmd for vitamins as my stomach never really handled vitamins even before the surgery. 

I haven't weighed myself since surgery, for some reason don't care, just focusing on getting better and I know the weight will come off. 

I went through all the mental **** that everyone else did, pre-op diet doubts, buyers remorse.  Today I have a much better outlook on things.  Hope this helps someone considering or getting ready.

Joan24
on 11/19/15 1:47 pm

I'm post op, scheduled for surgery on Dec. 14th.... your post helps so much!  It's great that you took the time to put it out there during your recovery!  Be well and good luck!  Thank you!!!

qtgonewild
on 11/19/15 9:57 pm

We have the same surgery date! I start my 2 week pre op diet on 11 30. So excited. 

Joan24
on 11/20/15 8:55 am

Wow isn't that great!! Good luck to us both and keep posting!!

SKINNYDREAM82
on 11/19/15 2:15 pm

Amazing I like that you don't worry about the pounds. By the time you recover you will have certainly lost a whole lot of weight. I am just barely looking into it. Your story has helped me visualize and prepare for what will happen. 

Thanks 

Kittygirl001
on 11/19/15 2:19 pm - Canada

I'm glad things are going well for you, and thank you for your information.  Take care and I hope things continue to go smoothly for you.

Andrea,

Surgery Date: Dec. 16th, 2015

RNY 

Dr. Lindsay, St. Josephs Healthcare

HW:374, OPTI SW:365 (11/4/15), SW:332, CW: 198

Most Active