Loose and saggy skin

cappy11448
on 11/17/15 4:37 am

I have to admit, there was a point maybe about one year after surgery where I was disappointed with the way I looked.  My skin was loose, and saggy especially on my neck and face.  I am in my 60's and looked older than I did when I was heavier.  But it just took a little time, and my body adjusted.  I would have done a face lift if needed, but it resolved itself.

I did have fleur-de-lis tummy tuck to remove the excess skin from my belly.  I'm so glad I did it.  By belly looks like it did when I was 14.  I feel so good about my body now.  I lost 225 pounds, so I had more than the usual amount of skin to deal with.

I still have excess skin on my inner thighs and my upper arms, but it is getting better with time.  All and all I am thrilled with my health, and the way I look in clothes, an my new-found energy.

Don't let the saggy skin hold you back.  The benefits outweigh the negatives so much.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

FuturePinUp
on 11/17/15 7:46 am

I am worried about loose skin, as well, but plan on tackling that issue when I get to goal. I will see how I look when at goal, and figure if it bothers me that much, I will save for some plastics. So far, I am down almost 100 lbs. from my highest weight and don't really have a problem - though I am more "jiggly"- but I have another 90 lbs. to go.

In the meantime, I am doing whatever I can do try and "prevent" loose skin. Trust me, I know that a lot of it is genetics, age, and time spent overweight, but I figure I can also help my body by keeping my skin hydrated (via drinking a ton of water and moisturizing), and plan on incorporating weight training into my routine soon (to firm up some of the muscle underneath the loose skin).

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Sherrie P.
on 11/17/15 6:24 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I knew loose skin would be a reality. If I made it to goal.

I also knew plastics would be in my future, if I made it to goal. I started proactively saving for them.

I have had two rounds of plastics and would like more. I am not in the mood currently to spend more money (it was all out of pocket) or go miss more time off work... so I am waiting. One year breast implants and outer thigh lipo will be my Christmas present ;-)

If you told me tomorrow that I had to undo my plastic surgery in order to keep my RNY/weight loss -- no problem, I would do it in a heartbeat. Thin and saggy is much better than obese ANY DAY.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

jujubslim
on 11/18/15 2:17 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

I lost 120lbs, I'm a 41 year old that has been obese my entire life so yes I do have extra skin but it's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be, my expectations were a lot worse. When I look at myself in the mirror and I'm not fully clothed I still see the same person I was before surgery, my body looks the same it's just deflated, it is a bit depressing BUT when I am folding my laundry and I see small shirts and pants I realize my mind is playing tricks on me, I realize I'm not that big person anymore. When I see pictures of myself I see a normal woman. Having the surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself and have never regretted it for a moment, loose skin and all I would do it again and again if I had to.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 7:24 am

Thank you for that response. I hope I can see myself that way as well. 

ICG63
on 11/21/15 6:14 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Congratulations on moving in a direction that will help you to be healthier. Actually that could still be deciding not to do the surgery, so it's good you're looking at all these emotions, questions and doubts before actually doing it. When I had WLS I didn't look that far down the road. I'm not sure what that says about me! I just knew I had tried everything I could at the time, and that surgery was right for me. In addition to appearance, the main concern was health down the road, and at the time I was so uncomfortable and dreaded having to walk or work out etc. and knew that aging in that body on that trajectory wasn't going to be a happy experience. I had a roux en y (in 2001, if I was doing it now it would be the sleeve), after my surgery I had a hernia, and long story shorter, that lead me to plastic surgery. Now I'm contemplating my next plastic surgery! Even during the time I had lost the weight, but still had the hernia and extra skin I was happier and so much more comfortable in my body. It just feels so good to move more easily and fit in to the world (theater, planes etc)! The world seems to kind of open up! I feel like I didn't even realize how many things I didn't do or think of doing because I was uncomfortable heavier. I'm assuming you are uncomfortable at your current weight? (I do know some larger people who are healthy in their bodies, so I shouldn't make assumptions!). If you are really considering not having the surgery, or want to pause longer, I would recommend visiting Green Mountain at Fox Run. They are a healthy retreat for women in a great supportive environment where you could examine all the doubts and look in to alternatives to weight loss surgery. I wish a much younger me had had access to a place like that! If you're interested in knowing more about my story, I just posted it today in the "about me" with pictures. Good luck and trust yourself to make the right decision only for you. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/15 7:09 pm

Thank you I will check them out. I am still on the fence. I do want the weight off but still stuck on the worry of saggy skin.  I worry to much on how I will look with my sstomach sagging and not able to get into my jeans again. 

justpete
on 11/22/15 5:38 am
VSG on 04/02/13

you will be happier in virtually every aspect of your life.  you will be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want to do it.  The skin issue may not make you feel a ton better about how you look in the mirror (even though it IS a ton better than being fat) ... you just have to accept the trade off.  its still a very good bargain!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active