HELP. I am really scared of hair loss

Annieslife
on 11/15/15 11:21 am

I am new here. I am meeting with my surgeon in a week to set surgery date and I'm having second thoughts. I am terrified of losing my hair. I have very thin hair to begin with and I'm afraid I will be bald. How has hair loss been for everyone else? And if you did experience hair loss, do you regret having the surgery? I really want to be healthy but my fears are getting the best of me. Thanks

sds0029
on 11/15/15 2:20 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I'm 11 months post and no hair loss.   It is what it is.  The surgery is worth it.   Good luck 

CareBear2015
on 11/15/15 3:42 pm - TX

I am one month in and have been sure to get my daily protein. I have heard through friends that they lost hair due to lack of protein. I expect some hair loss but I want to be healthy for my family and myself.  Good luck and yes I feel the surgery is worth it too.

Oneillch
on 11/15/15 4:22 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Always got at least the min protein, but started experiencing hair loss starting @ 5 months. I could see my scalp but my weight loss was much more important to me. At 7 months, it lessened & now at 9 months, it's growing again.

Annieslife
on 11/15/15 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for the responses. I think I might just be having some last minute jitters. 

Gwen M.
on 11/15/15 4:36 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Ask yourself which is more important?  Your hair?  Or your health?  For me, my health won every time.  If you do lose hair, it will grow back and you can always wear hats, wigs, and flattering hair styles that mitigate the loss.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chanti_
on 11/15/15 4:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I don't give a damn if I go bald.  

Lol, that's actually a total lie.  I don't want to lose my hair, but from what I read the majority of people who experience extreme and rapid weight loss will lose a certain percentage of their hair, up to 30% is what I've read..  

I want extreme and rapid weight loss so I am willing to accept the consequences of hair loss if it means I can reach my goals and live a healthier life.

Things to remember.

From what I understand the hair thins overall, it doesn't fall out in clumps where your left with bald spots. 

It's temporary.  The most hair loss occurs between 3 and 6 months, then you start getting regrowth. 

If you can get in your protein, and vitamins it can lessen the severity of the hair loss.

Some docs recommend Biotin supplements, I take them, some people say it makes no difference, but I figure what's the harm.  

Question? 

Do you see any bald women on this website? If their hair has thinned they are making it work, cause I have yet to see one pic of someone having a bad hair day.

Food for thought.

I have to tell you the possibility of losing my hair was never a deciding factor in my decision to have WLS.  If this is your primary concern maybe you are not ready to have WLS.  No shame in that, it's not the solution for everyone,  but I hope that if your only reservation is your hair, that you can get past it.  After all what means more to you, your health... or your hair?

Donna L.
on 11/15/15 5:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Six months out and maybe a very slight amount of hair loss.  No one can notice but my hairdresser, and she only does because I'm trying to grow it out (it was very short).  It's typically nothing like going bald.

Down 110 pounds since June 22nd - so nope, no regrets.  I can buy a wig but not my health.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Duetoprivacy
on 11/15/15 5:35 pm

I'm terrified of the potential hair loss. I'm about six weeks out and decided to just try everything to potentially mitigate it and see what happens. I've been really focusing on meeting my protein and vitamin goals, taking biotin, using a collagen protein supplement in addition to the whey powders and everything and anything else that seems like it could possibly help. 

Fingers crossed.

hollykim
on 11/15/15 5:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 16, 2015 at 1:35 AM Pacific Time, Duetoprivacy wrote:

I'm terrified of the potential hair loss. I'm about six weeks out and decided to just try everything to potentially mitigate it and see what happens. I've been really focusing on meeting my protein and vitamin goals, taking biotin, using a collagen protein supplement in addition to the whey powders and everything and anything else that seems like it could possibly help. 

Fingers crossed.

none of that will really make a difference. Hair loss after any surgery is a side effect of anesthesia.

Most Active