Day 3 following Vertical Sleeve Surgery

alyssa9933
on 11/14/15 3:32 pm - LA

I am feeling general very well especially after how fearfull I was.  Everything was smooth as could be.  However now I am eating little bits (was on clear liquids until today) but barely got any down and now at day 4 I am allowed pureed foods.  I am having a similar problem with both although it is a bit worse on the pureed stuff.  After a couple of very small amounts my chest feels very strange and kind of full, also like I need to maybe burp really bad it takes a minute or two when goes away.  Is this normal or is anybody else having something similar and if so is it always going to be like this to make you want to  keep your food intake down or does it go away?

psychoticparrot
on 11/14/15 3:39 pm

I wasn't permitted pureed foods until several weeks post-op. Full liquids only. If pureed is giving you trouble, and I'm not surprised that you are having trouble so soon after surgery, just scale back to liquids for a few days and then try pureed foods again. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Shel25
on 11/14/15 3:42 pm

In my experience this is normal.  Eventually as you heal and swelling goes down, there is less of it.  I think it is a different feeling than the restriction that is eventually felt.

Do know that if any stage is uncomfortable, you can opt to back up and stay on the previous stage longer until you are ready to try the next stage again. 

Enjoy the journey!  It will get less weird. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

MaraFaith
on 11/14/15 3:58 pm - denham springs, LA

Im on day 3, and just started full liquids, I wont go to pureed foods for another three weeks. Liquid protein shakes barely stay down and I cant eat a full prepackaged cup of jello. Not trying to doubt you, but are you sure you should be on pureed foods? Just worried about your health and safety.

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Chanti_
on 11/14/15 4:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Your diet seems very accelerated.  I know everyone's is a little different depending on doctor recommendations, but purees day 3 might be too much for you.  I was on clears for a week then full liquids for another 2 weeks then soft foods.

Just because your diet allows doesn't mean you will be able to tolerate the food.  You are still healing from surgery and if you are having tightness or discomfort, your body is probably telling you to slow down a bit.  

I did have that burp sensation when I ate too fast or too much for my sleeve.  Especially in the beginning, I was eating very slowly but still to fast for my new stomach.  Try starting with one small bite, wait 5 mins then try another.  At three days that's probably capacity for your very swollen sleeve.  If it's still uncomfortable, scale back to clears or fulls and call your doc.

As you heal that extreme tightness does go away. I'm @ 7+ weeks now and I am having zero problems with food.  Chicken, fish, beef (slow cooked) as well as fresh veggies are no problem.  I try to introduce 1 new food a day as a tester to see how it goes, haven't tried lettuce yet, as I know some people have difficulty. 

You'll get there, just try and take it slow and easy on your new stomach.  The last thing you want is to start vomiting. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/15 6:31 pm

I have read of very few, if any, who were on pureed foods that soon. I don't think my tummy would have taken to that at all. My Dr didn't let you have anything at all the first 2 days, just IV fluids. Then I got an ice pop and a few hours later clear broth. After a few days on clear liquids I got to protein shakes and liquid yogurt. Don't think I ate anything thick for easily 2-3 weeks. Takes time for the swelling to go down the tummy to want anything. I do burp more than I ever have. Not large burps but there are always some after a meal. Food intake stays down just cos you don't feel you need to eat more at one time not really cos of discomfort.I do need small snacks between meals which I have never had in my life till now but I just can't go more than 4-5 hrs without some small something. It will get better.

ubserved
on 11/14/15 10:14 pm

I don't know what instructions they gave you, but my surgeon and most everywhere I have read online about post surgery, first two weeks you stay on a liquid diet, the next two weeks you go to pureed foods, then the next four weeks you are on soft foods like cottage cheese, tuna salad, etc, not until you start on week nine do you go to solid foods as tolerated. It takes four weeks for your stomach to heal from the surgery, you eat solid foods now, even in tiny amounts or size you will risk rupturing your stomach which could be fatal. 

alyssa9933
on 11/14/15 10:34 pm - LA

Yikes, you all scared me enough.  I'm agree with you all because that is what i read to but truly, I wasn't eating or drinking the clear plain liquids provided the first 2 days and he told me to go to the next step being creamy liquids and mild baby food type purees.  I'm going to assume I was too out of it to perhaps hear him properly because he is an excellent doctor and surgeon.  Thanks for your advice and concern.

Most Active