How much fluid/food at one time?

alouisa63
on 11/8/15 7:46 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

At a little more than three months out I can still only eat 2 oz of a dense protein.  Any more than that and I'm really uncomfortable.  At my two month follow up, the Dr asked if i was feeling restriction and I said "not sure.... I measure all my food and only eat 4 oz at a meal" (2oz protein and 2oz of a veggie) and he told me to keep doing that.  If I don't have a veggie and increase the protein, I still can't eat much more than 2.5 oz.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Katspike
on 11/8/15 8:32 am - Rochester Hills, MI
VSG on 10/01/15

Similar. I'm almost 6 weeks out.  I live in Rochester Hills, MI

Kat

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 9:04 am

If I remember correctly you're still on full liquids, right? During that stage I had no feelings of restriction. I could drink a protein shake (8 oz) in about 10-15 minutes no problem. It was at 2 or 3 weeks out when I got to eat soft foods that I finally understood restriction. It is a very different feeling from being full in the pre sleeve days. For me it's like a pressure at the bottom of my throat (I now know that that feeling is pressure on the esophageal sphincter that closes off the stomach from the esophagus). All it took for me to feel that restriction was HALF A SCRAMBLED EGG!

Wait until you are on soft solids or dense protein for the ability to really feel restriction. I remember sitting in my chair drinking my protein shake wondering why I didn't feel the mysterious restriction and worrying about that. Turned out there was no reason to worry at all! 

msecanales
on 11/9/15 7:16 pm

I have started my soft food diet. I was able to eat 2 scrambled eggs.. And not "feel full", or any restriction. I was able to eat a cup of turkey chili for lunch with no problem. Had I not measured it, I would have probably eaten more because I didn't feel any kind of restriction.. This worries me!

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/15 9:37 pm

I think I might be a bit worried, too! I don't understand though, why you are choosing to eat so much at one sitting. When I was a new post op I was not supposed to eat more than 1/4 measured cup by volume during my soft food phase. Also, the turkey chili (if it's the hormel or dennison's type) is pretty much like a soup. It's not going to give you a whole lot of feeling of restriction.

I would honestly not eat more than a single egg, stick to 1/4 cup portions and give your stomach time to heal.

You could simply be a person who is healing slowly and your nerves haven't healed so you're not feeling the restriction. You could also be one of the early post ops who won't feel restriction until you are allowed to eat dense solids. A final option might be that maybe your sleeve is a little larger than some. Does your surgeon make a larger sleeve? 

Stick to small portions and stay the course. Call your surgeon's office if you are really worried that something is wrong. Please keep us/me informed on how it's going. 

msecanales
on 11/10/15 5:24 am

On my post op paperwork, it states not to eat more than a cup of food at one sitting (which I haven't done). I even measured my eggs and it was less than a cup.

Yes, the turkey chili was hormel.

I have my post op appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. I will be bringing this up. Thank you for your response. I will keep you guys posted after tomorrow's appointment. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 9:31 am

Please do keep us posted. Your post op instructions lead me to believe that perhaps your surgeon does make a larger sleeve. I'm very interested to here what he/she has to say.

Most Active