Yeah, 2 more days..but...

Wyldblu
on 11/11/15 7:56 am

Well I did it. I broke down and had a very loosely scrambled egg last night for dinner. Ate it very slowly. Chewed it to a fine mush and it was cold before I finished it. A couple of things I noticed...

It went down fine, no problems at all with it.

It tasted funny...kind of like plastic. I asked my husband to try it and he said it was tasted fine. Odd.

It did not fill me up like I thought it would. About an hour later, I had a small cup of applesauce too (sugar free). It also went down fine with no problem, and I still didn't fill full.

No problems at all with any of it, except I REALLY thought I would not be able to finish the one egg, or at least be full from it. Hmmmm

Wyldblu

Duetoprivacy
on 11/11/15 7:59 am

My surgeon and nutritionist's plan (which is one of the best-ranked programs in the U.S.) has sleeve patients working back to a high-protein, low fat, low carb but real food diet within a month, depending on what the patient's body tolerates well. There is a huge variety of medical advice out there. I generally am very strongly in favor of sticking to both the letter and the spirit of the plan. That being said, I think that meeting your nutritional goals while staying within portion and calorie parameters in a way that is sustainable for you is the second most important part of this process (mental health treatment for common issues such as anxiety, eating disorders, depression, past trauma, etc. being first). 

The first semi-solid food I ate post-surgery was a scrambled egg and it was not fantastic. My nutritionist recommends a soft boiled or poached egg instead because the mix of the yolk and white in a scramble has a tendency to hit the stomach harder. My solid food was about a tablespoon of some very tender salmon and that was absolutely wonderful. 

At 5.5 weeks out, I'm tracking every single morsel and comfortably getting a minimum of 60 g of protein and 64 oz of water per day in three meals and two snacks that total between 450-650 calories per day (meals in about 1/4-1/3 cup portions, snacks in smaller sizes) and I feel really good and have lost 28 pounds since surgery. This is a life-long lifestyle change and for it to work for me, I need to use a plan that provides flexible but accountable structure and allows me to use my own good judgment as necessary.

Most Active