Will I be okay with a flight layover?

Sammy_85
on 11/9/15 10:32 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I'm hoping those of you who have had surgery can give me some insight as to whether you think I'll be able to manage with a 4 hour layover 3 days after surgery? I booked my flights using Air Miles and although the flight home from Mexico is only 3 hours total, there is a 4 hour layover in Calgary. Would you have been okay pain-wise with being stuck in an airport for that length of time? Can you offer me any advice as to how I can manage comfortably? Thanks in advance!

Chanti_
on 11/9/15 11:26 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I flew back from Texas to Nova Scotia 3 days post-op with a quick plane change in Houston and a longer layover in Toronto.  It was a very long day and I was tired at the end.   I had no pain, just a mild soreness.  I was travelling alone so I checked my small carry-on so I was only carrying a purse.  I was provided a prescription pain med (non narcotic) by my surgeon that I took for 10 days post op and that really took care of any discomfort.  The main thing for me was lack of energy.  I was sipping on vitamin water and Gatorade all day, but  the volume is so small it doesn't help much. 

I think you will be fine, just tired by day's end. 

aharris30
on 11/10/15 1:52 am
VSG on 05/13/14

For me, no. But i had severe nausea for two weeks. But that is not the norm. Just in case, keep your nausea medications within reach at all times and your fluids. I think you will be okay. Lots of people posted about flying back a few days after surgery with no polroblems. But, if you get nauseated easily. I would suggest otherwise.

Oneillch
on 11/10/15 4:46 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Remember that you will have restrictions as to how much weight you are permitted to lift. Take your time & good luck!

TerriLMac
on 11/10/15 10:57 pm

My surgery was on October 21st (so 3 weeks ago tomorrow) and there is NO WAY I would have been able to fly 3 days after surgery.  I was still pretty sore, especially from the larger of the incisions where they pulled my stomach out of and I definitely could not have walked through an airport.  Just walking my cul de sac was difficult.  I was very active before the surgery (I play competitive tennis), but I still couldn't have done it.  I did fly 2 weeks after for my job and that was okay (still tired, but okay).  Of course, everyone is different, but I would plan to play it by ear - if you don't feel well enough to do it, I wouldn't.  It would be a shame to put yourself back after everything you went through.  Plus checking with your surgeon would be wise.  Good luck and take care of yourself!  

Terri

KansasPrincess
on 11/27/15 9:39 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

ask for  a wheel chair. you will get on the plane first and be pushed all around the air port. adn i flew just fine 3 days after surgery., just tired. adn the pain meds will hopefully put you to sleep. mine sure did.i had a 4 hr flight from lax to kansas city mo. i slept all but a half hr.

Most Active