Travelling with VSG

FuturePinUp
on 11/6/15 12:40 pm

I eat a lot of really weird exotic foods, and have had no issues post-op with anything, so I wouldn't worry too much - especially since it will be more than a year away.

I am going to Eastern Europe in 2 months and likely will indulge in more carbs than I typically eat (which is like 30g a day), but I still plan on sticking to the protein first, veggies second rule, so I doubt my intake will really be all that great. The way that I see it is that while I am actively trying to lose, I have to be as on-plan as possible. My trip comes at my 6 month surgery mark, and I won't be done yet! Once I am at goal I can let myself splurge once in a while, but plan on always keeping tabs on my weight, and reversing habits super quickly if it looks like I am starting to re-gain.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

psychoticparrot
on 11/6/15 1:44 pm

Frisco is the expert. His advice rules!

I'm going to Nicaragua for 4 months this winter and will have to negotiate the same path you will -- what to eat. I don't think the land of beans and fresh fruit and vegetables will be a problem! The ubiquitous fried plantain -- that will be hard to resist, but I must.

IMO, the very worst traditional cuisine for any sleever is that of the good ol' USA. Way too many carbs, sugars, fats and supersize portions. I believe countries (like South Korea) with centuries-old traditional ways of healthy eating are much better for us. This past summer I experimented, with varying degrees of success, with Japanese cuisine. Nothing fancy like sushi -- just traditional shabu-shabu, which is actually much easier to prepare than I thought. Tasty, nutritious, sleeve-friendly, and different.

One of the delights of travel is trying out different foods. Print out Frisco's post and refer to it if you need to. Enjoy your trip and your continuing weight loss.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kiofish8
on 11/6/15 1:51 pm
VSG on 11/02/15

Wow I was just saying only in America do you have to watch what you eat super closely, but that very true any other country could grow what the need and supply their people with natural foods. Thanks for the reply!

Most Active