Men -- how many calories daily during losing phase?

psychoticparrot
on 11/2/15 12:51 pm

I have a question for the guys on behalf on my husband, who is still trying to decide if sleeve surgery is for him. He's 64 years old, 6'1", weighs 275 pounds, and is a meat-and-potatoes and pizza kind of guy. He's already met all the insurance's and surgeon's requirements and is approved for the surgery.

He had lost quite a bit of weight earlier in the year because of an illness and was hoping he could take off the rest by himself and maintain at 200-210 pounds. But ever since he's starting feeling better, he's reverting back to his old ways of eating, and the weight is creeping back on again (his high weight was 325). So he's considering having the surgery next spring, when we come back to the States from Nicaragua.

He asked me today how many calories a day he would be limited to in order to lose weight with the sleeve. I don't know what to tell him. My surgeon told me not to eat less than 1000 calories/day, but I know from experience that I will not lose weight if I go much over 700 calories. I don't have a structured exercise plan, but even if I did, I wouldn't be able to eat much more than I am already and still lose weight. I don't know how the calorie/weight loss equation works for men.

BTW, he understands that his 16-oz. prime rib and half a large pizza days would be over with the sleeve. He's not too big on lower-carb vegetables, though. I think adjusting to the sleeve would be an uphill battle for him in terms of food choice and number of calories. On the other hand, he narrowly avoided having a heart attack last year, is pre-diabetic, has high BP, and other comorbidities that he must do something about and soon.

Any advice from the guys for my guy?

BTW, he would come on here and ask for himself, but his aunt in Florida died a few days ago, and he's swamped with all the details involved with dealing with final arrangements and closing her estate. Did I say he's under a lot of stress, too?

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/15 12:56 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

This is second-hand, but my husband had VSG 5.5 months ago and eats about 1000 calories a day. He's 6'1", had a high weight of 475, surgery weight of 425, and is currently at about 305. He's losing like crazy, and I'm jealous of how fast the pounds are melting off him while I get stuck for a few weeks, then drop a pound, then get stuck again.

He also had to come to terms with the fact that his days of ordering (and eating) 2 large pizzas after I went to bed then hiding the evidence are over. He loves vegetables though. He's off his diabetes meds now and all but one BP med.

frisco
on 11/2/15 1:00 pm

600-800

I watched 6'2" Jimbo go from 580 to 240 on the same plan.

Given his age and medical issues getting to a lower goal weight should be very beneficial.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 11/2/15 2:49 pm

I am not a dude, but nearly identical to his size. I am 6'2'', and weighed in at 325+ when I decided to have surgury. He is lucky he likes meat- that will make it so much easier for him! Month 1 ranged 300- 600 calories (less in the beginning). Then I went up to the 800 range. Around month 4 or 5 I was closer to 1000. By month 6 I was at 1200 (still losing) and stayed there until goal. If he eats his meat first, he won't have room for the other crap :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 11/2/15 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone! Every post has been forwarded to him. He really likes the idea that he would be able to eat meat and not be hungry. Maybe that fact alone will decide him in favor of the surgery (which I think he needs).

psychoticparrot

NateH
on 11/2/15 6:37 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

I'm 6'3" and started at 450. After surgery I've stayed between 650-750 calories per day. I'm down a total of 231 pounds and going.

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Spencerella
on 11/2/15 6:42 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Wow, you've done a amazing job! So happy for you :-)

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 5:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On November 3, 2015 at 2:37 AM Pacific Time, NateH wrote:

I'm 6'3" and started at 450. After surgery I've stayed between 650-750 calories per day. I'm down a total of 231 pounds and going.

6'3" also. My high weight was 475. You were kind of a little feller.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/15 6:45 pm, edited 11/2/15 10:45 am

Right out of the gate I was getting about 350-450 calories in per day. When I got up to speed at about 6 weeks out it was about 600 per day. I leveled off at between 700-800 calories per day and lost at a good clip. Sure there were days that I went over, but there were also days that I was under.

I am a meat and potatoes guy. Loved my pizza, pasta, mac and cheese, steak, ribs, brisket, pork loin, etc.... You get the picture, right? Well, let me tell you VSG eating is right up my alley! I eat meat at least twice per day and NEVER feel guilty about it (On plans like Weigh****chers I was always STARVING For meat!) I'm not much for vegetables, but I have found that there are some that I never tire of (green beans, cruciferous salad, carrots, cucumbers, leafy greens) and some that I like, but only want once a week or twice a month (broccoli, brussels sprouts, squash, cauliflower).

There are many ways to make a VSG food plan work. It's really all about making sure your macros are in line with your program. While I have become a firm believer that the types of food we eat do make a difference - it's not always simply calories in, calories out for OPTIMAL weight loss - it's pretty easy for a "regular meat and potatoes guy" to manage a good weight loss plan.

If there's one thing I've learned is that losing weight is not a one size fits all venture. There are tried and true programs, but even within those programs there is a lot of room for individuality. I never wanted to be a super low carber (20-25 carbs per day) and wasn't. I always stayed within 40-50 during weight loss and that worked for me. Fewer carbs made me feel "deprived" on a mental level.

Also, the number of calories isn't really worth the worry, IMO. It's about feeling satisfied and that has very little to do with calories. It's quality of food and the choices you make. For instance, 3 oz of chicken breast with a TBS of Stubbs BBQ sauce is 115 calories - very filling and satisfying for me - even now. 1/2 cup of low fat ice cream is between 110 and 180 calories per serving and, while tasty, not at all satisfying and will leave you wanting more. Learning to make choices that satisfy hunger and appetite is really key.

Okay, my two cents!

psychoticparrot
on 11/4/15 5:15 pm, edited 11/4/15 9:15 am

Thank you, kairk. Your advice is right on the money, as always. I've been away from my computer for a few days, hence the response delay. I plan on forwarding this entire thread to my husband so that he'll get the full picture from a number of sleevers. He'll be very glad to hear that he doesn't have to give up his steaks and pork chops! I tend to go light on meat and fill up on fish, tofu, eggs, etc. I don't much like the flavor of red meat. That's probably what's been scaring him off the sleeve -- he doesn't want to eat the same foods I do!

psychoticparrot

Most Active