Just had my surgery Thursday, 11/5...

Smallbites2015
on 11/7/15 8:33 pm

Hang n there. It will pass. First few days are pretty rough, but will level off. 

Congratulations on on your surgery 

SDenae
on 11/7/15 10:25 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Oh my goodness do I know what you're talking about. The first week after surgery is the worst. I can't tell you how many times I broke down crying because I thought I had ruined my life because every bit of gas and every bite I took caused me so much pain. Then, one day I just noticed that it wasn't there anymore. (Well, not like it was. If I overeat or eat something my stomach doesn't like, it still hurts, but that's rare.)

As the others have said, just hang in there. If the hospital sent you home with some medicine for pain or gas or nausea, maybe try that. There WILL come a day when you feel a little more "normal." You're NOT going to starve to death or dry up to dust or whatever other scenario is running through your head. (I had some doozies.)  Just try your best to drink as much as you can.

((Hugs))

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 4:56 am

Thanks so much! I was getting nervous about the no food / nutrients coming in...not sure what I feared would happen, though drying up to dust sounds about right :-)

i really appreciate your kind words. Just stepped on the scale and I am 7.5 lbs down. So it's working, I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. Thanks! xoxo

Wanda1118
on 11/8/15 3:50 am
VSG on 07/09/14

The main thing to remember is why you did this..Watching the pounds drop off is remarkable...Being able to walk and not sit down every few minutes is something else...I am a year and a half post op and let me tell you, those first couple of weeks I wanted to die..I didn't have much pain even from the beginning but the burning I had was something else..Getting up and down out of bed would almost make me cry, but before I knew it, I didn't have the burning anymore. You will be able to eat more as time goes on...don't panic because you can't eat or drink much now..Take advantage of this "Honeymoon" stage because the first year in the easiest to lose the weight...after that it becomes a little slower..you will also hit plateaus along your journey, don't panic..just remember to sip sip sip and walk walk walk! Welcome to the losers bench and enjoy your ride!

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 4:47 am

Thanks so much Wanda! I'm so happy to hear this from someone who is that far out! I think I was having a bit of an anxiety attack last night. All the words of encouragement and stories people have shared have made me feel soooooooo much better! And good point about the not-eating thing...I'm sure in a few days/weeks/months, I will look on these days and wish I hadn't taken them for granted! :-)

congrats on your weight loss - xoxo

SassyItalian
on 11/8/15 7:09 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

Post op and transitioning from fluids to mushies was terrible. I was hospitalized at least twice for fluids from dehydration (set your timer and drink!). It's no fun. Its mentally taxing but if you follow the rules you WILL get through it, and one day you won't even remember the pain and the frustration. I literally have to read my blogs to remember what I went through, honestly. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!

Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 8:29 am

Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait to be a few months into this so I can look back and this will all feel like a dream! I appreciate your kind words and positivity! xoxo

rickjohnsonccrn
on 11/8/15 4:15 pm - TX
VSG on 11/03/15

I had surgery 11/3 and those first few days seemed like the worst plus it felt like they lasted forever.   I tried to keep focused on getting through each day.  After a couple of days I started feeling so much better.  Now I am feeling a lot more "normal."  Hang in there!

Rick

NewMe2016
on 11/8/15 5:54 pm

Ahhhh I remember how bad I felt. They wanted to send me home the day after but I told them no and stayed two nights in the hospital.  Your body has been through a lot but you will be surprised how resilient your body is also.  You will feel much better after 1 week, even better after 2 weeks.  Most important thing is that you stay hydrated.  If you can't get your vitamin down don't worry about it. It will be easier after a couple weeks. Best of luck.  I am just a under a month post op and I am still mostly eating soups and some bean based soups for more protein and of course my protein shakes.  Stay positive. You're doing great.

Surgery 10/12/15 20 lbs lost 108 more to go

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 6:23 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words! It truly helps!

Most Active