pre surgery lower BMI question

unc4mee
on 10/24/15 5:41 pm
with

My BMI is 37.5 pre surgery ... could I get some pros and cons and weight loss stats and time line from people who had a low BMI prior to surgery

Spencerella
on 10/24/15 8:10 pm, edited 10/24/15 1:46 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

If you do things right, you can reach a normal BMI quite quickly - when your motivation is at its highest, your restriction is greatest and your hunger is lowest. I had a BMI of 41 and the weight loss goal I set was to lose 50% of my excess weight within the first three months, 80% of my excess weight within the first six months, and the rest of it within a year. I met the first two milestones and reached normal BMI in 9.5 months, but there are some people on here who achieved normal BMI within 6 or 7 months.

So the 'pro' is that getting to normal BMI is relatively 'easy' for us lightweights, but the 'con' is that it's no easier for us to maintain over a lifetime! But that's a whole different topic. Best of luck to you.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

ocean4dlm
on 10/25/15 2:45 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I took my pre-surgery time seriously and got to a BMI of 40 about three weeks before surgery. I had no co-morbidities, so my insurance required me to be at or above the 40 BMI at my final pre-admissions exam. I lost 53 pounds before surgery and have lost 53 pounds in the first five months after surgery. I am 11 pounds from my surgeon's goal, and 21 pounds from my personal goal. I think starting with a lower BMI enabled me to build physical activity into my lifestyle sooner. Best wishes !

Racewalker48
on 10/25/15 7:13 am
RNY on 02/17/14

My BMI was 36 pre op. It took me about 10 months to reach goal, and lost 95 lbs in that time frame. I would agree that maintenance is no different for me than for anyone else. It takes a lot of discipline for me. I didn't feel that I had any advantage except that I had less to lose overall. I don't see any disadvantage on being a light weight either. I wasn't willing to wait for my health to continue to deteriorate before considering surgery.

samanthalc
on 10/25/15 10:33 am
with

I was 206 on preliquid diets, 196 the day of surgery. I'm 5'4. I'm now 5 months and 5 days out and hovering in the high 150s. I focus on eating lean proteins first, but don't really restrict my carbs like some very disciplined folks do. (Mostly because I work out often, am trying to lose with lifelong habits, and am intentionally trying to lose the weight in a "slower" ---relatively speaking--- way over the course of 10 months. I'm still losing very quickly.)

Like others, I was headed down a bad path and didn't want to wait until I was having significant problems and so I pulled the trigger as a self pay. I was saving for a car....but this was more important. I still struggle with whether I made the right decision, mostly because I am dealing with heartburn I never had pre-surgery (and despite being on protonix). In the end, I don't regret it even with the short-lived doubts.

Just know what you're getting into.

Most Active