4 days post-op--- How do I know I am full?

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/29/15 12:16 pm

Right now, I am only 4 days post-op and not feeling hungry at all. I am trying to drink the 48-64 oz. water/liquids the doctor recommends during this full liquid stage and get in my 65-70 g. of protein. Yesterday, I was able to drink a protein shake, an isopure, and 1.2 c. fat free cr. ck. soup, plus a bottle and a half of water. Is this too much?

Donna L.
on 10/29/15 12:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Is it within your post-op plan? You won't feel full the same way ever again. For the first several months you need to measure food because the nerve endings in your stomach are cut. If you are drinking those gradually over a long period of time it's probably fine. If you're drinking it quickly, then it may be too much.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/29/15 2:22 pm

Thanks Donna! No, I'm drinking it slowly over the course of the entire day.

Donna L.
on 10/29/15 5:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was able to drink very comfortably much quicker than the average patient; in general I healed very fast. My surgeon told me to still keep pacing myself. It's actually a good problem to have, because dehydration sucks. I hope your healing keeps going well :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/29/15 12:31 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The nerves in your stomach have been severed, and you won't feel any "full" sensation for several weeks.

What's important is to get in your fluids right now and the recommended amount of protein. Liquids are easily to handle at this stage, but take it slowly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

msecanales
on 10/29/15 12:56 pm

Wow! You are doing much better than I am. I was released on Tuesday and just this morning, was able to finish 1 isopure. That's it. I have been sipping on water and today, also finished 1 16oz bottled water. This has been a very rough recovery for me due to nausea and gas. Today, is the first day I was able to swllow my acid-reducer medication. Yesterday, I threw it up.

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/29/15 2:26 pm

Hate your having such a rough time. The nausea was terrible for me day 1 and 2. They gave me an anti-nausea patch that goes behind my ear that helped with the nausea. However, it does make me slightly dizzy. I have been trying to force the liquids down because I had a tonsillectomy this summer and got dehydrated and don't want to go through that again. Plus, I am trying to get all my protein so I can minimize hair loss and give my body the nutrients it needs to heal. My incisions are still sore and the gas/belching is terrible, after almost every drink but I am making due. I have used Gas-X strips but they aren't really helping too much. Praying you start to feel better!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/29/15 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Drink all you can. Don't guzzle, but the more you can drink, the better off you'll be.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/29/15 2:27 pm

Thanks! I am definitely trying but having to remind myself to drink it slowly! It takes a conscious effort for sure.

To P.
on 10/29/15 7:38 pm

Hi

I am almost 6 months out (VSG) and still have a hard time "knowing" when I am full !?!

My body does a little "burp" and I know "IF" I have another bite or three after that, I'll regret it.

And that is not much. Soup and wet veggies I can consume about a cup and I am full. Or should I say I do my little burp... and STOP! no real FULL feeling... Just a signal that says belly is full...

Solid foods I.E. Everything else.... LOL about a quarter to a half of a cup (If that) every three hours or so (now that's after 6 months) and I am fine anymore and I get to deal with it for about 10-15 minutes of uncomfort. It is almost like a stick in my throat. I still can not eat a lot of things or I really should say a lot of things make me too full too fast. I.E. red meats, breads, even chicken. Fish is fine... Etc... So I stick with cooked chard and wet veggies and some really soft moist sausage or white fish almost soup-ish but that is me.... BTW my 6 month blood work came out fantastic. So I think I am on the right track!

Don't force yourself. Take your time and go as fast or as slow as you need too. No one is you but you! Get protein in. I hate the taste of whey. Really the after taste. So I drink protein low fat milk with 21 grams in a signal serve bottle in many flavors. Which goes down very easy and stays down comfortably! Two or three bottles a day and I get my protein plus the food I really get more than I need to stay on my plan. I am not worried about the 80-100 calories in the milk as my food intake is not even 600 calories a day as of yet so the milk helps get to my 800 calories a day.

It is all a learning "thing" that is really VERY exciting! The more you listen (to your body) the more COMFORTABLE you are!

Just listen to your body... My signal is a tiny burp. When I listen, I am fine, when my "BRAIN" says you need more.... I get to deal with it. And that is what got me to 285lbs in the 1st place!! I am 185lbs now and I feel so good! I have sat and just cried for joy, I am so happy! I am alive again!!! All my friends and co-workers just fill me with compliments. When I bend over to pick something up! It is a joy! a real joy! The VERY little things in life! Become so joyus.... You'll see is all gets better and better. First crawl then take your baby steps and so on :?)

You'll be fine. It gets easier and easier. Just be a good student and LISTEN to you talk to you! You'll love it!

Tom

Most Active