I have questions :)

breezy25
on 10/22/15 7:05 am

Thanks for the honest responses. I am ready to start this process!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/22/15 1:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Diets are notorious for making people cranky. With a diet, there's always a point in time when you think you can stop it. Your mind is focused on that as the end game.

The difference with WLS is that you change your lifestyle and approach to eating. Before surgery, I ate junk food daily. Now I can't stand it. I I was addicted to processed foods. Now I avoid them. I used to eat out 5-7 nights a week. Now I prefer my own cooking.

Nothing makes me happier than watching the numbers on the scale go down. But you can't live and die by those numbers either. Priorities have changed for me. I feel so much better and can be more active. It's helped my overall attitude and view of life.

BUT, don't be surprised at how cranky you might be on the preop diet or immediately after surgery. Both are a huge adjustment phase. I will always be a foodie and have to deal with my unhealthy relationship towards food. It doesn't go away just because I've had surgery. In fact, I find that I need to address these issues now even more because the further out you are from surgery, the harder it is to keep your motivation in high gear. Bad habits can slip in quite easily.

It's so worth it, though. I wish I had done it years ago. Good luck and I hope your insurance isn't a nightmare. Mine required six months of a supervised weight loss program. You might consider starting that now so that you're at least a little ahead of the game, just in case.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active