Insomnia and sleep positions

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 12:50 pm

I have not had more than a few hours sleep each day since my Sleeve surgery on 10/7. I was a side sleeper but now it feels like my stomach is falling out or moving when I lay on side. The little sleep I have got has been in my chair and it not a recliner. I never could sleep on my back or stomach...what other positions are there though? I had insomnia before this but it's much worse now. The painkillers don't make me groggy just more wide awake. Same thing in hospital when they gave me 2mg Dillaudid, it just made me perk up...while all the other patients slept I was awake and never slept at all. Maybe some sort of medication? I have tried melatonin with no success. Any ideas?

Duetoprivacy
on 10/11/15 1:21 pm

Insomnia is so frustrating, and doubly so when you're recovering from major surgery. I'm also a side sleeper and the only thing that's helped with that is stacking a couple of firm-ish pillows and one squishy pillow on my left side/underneath me so that when I roll to my left it kind of feels like I'm sleeping on my side with a body pillow. I can't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours like that, but it's helped me.

I wonder if your doctor would prescribe a sleep aid that's safe to take with your other meds for the next couple of weeks.

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 1:32 pm

Hi I will try that. My cousin is a Rheumatologist and his wife is a pharmacist and will give me anything that is safe but I'd rather just try getting comfortable naturally. I can just imagine taking a sleeping pill and then falling asleep in a bad position and waking up even worse. I am going to buy a body pillow, never tried one but that sounds good, thanks! A few hours is better than none or sitting in chair till I pass out.

MelissaKay_69
on 10/11/15 1:54 pm

Have you tried Benadryl?

White Dove
on 10/11/15 1:59 pm - Warren, OH

I wore a binder for several weeks after surgery. It kept everything feeling tight and I was able to sleep on my side with it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 2:33 pm

I tried the binder and it was great in my chair but not lying down..taking it off after wearing it really felt uncomfortable, the wounds don't hurt that much at all but right where my chest meets stomach is the problem. .thanks!

Aleyna1228
on 10/11/15 2:33 pm

Before my surgery 3 weeks ago I was a side sleeper and never had troubles sleeping. After I have had issues sleeping without waking up frequently but the last few nights that has gotten better. The best position I found was to have two pillows under my head and shoulders and then I have a body pillow that I fold in half and put that under my knees. This has helped a lot and keeps my back from hurting too. I am still sleeping this was because it seems when I try to sleep on my side I am more sore the next day.

Hope this helps and you are able to get some zzz's soon!

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 2:44 pm, edited 10/11/15 7:48 am

I just ordered one on Amazon for overnight delivery for only 3 bucks more..hopefully that will do the trick! It will also help keep my dog from resting her head on it also. She's an old lady and I can't change her habits now and her head weighs a ton. My other small dog uses my stomach as a springboard to jump off of, she's about 5 lbs but it still hurts. Oh well, It hopefully will only be another week of this soreness. Some people get grossed out by dogs in the bed but they are both clean, short haired inside dogs. In fact the shampoo that I use from Vets has the same exact active ingredient in it as the surgical wash they gave me to wash with the night before surgery. Plus they are like little ovens and I noticed that all of a sudden I can't take the least bit of cold. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

NerdySquirrel
on 10/12/15 7:33 am

I had the same issues! I slept in my recliner the first two nights, then moved to the couch. I slept on the couch for almost 3 weeks before I was finally able to sleep in bed. I hope you find somewhere comfortable for you!

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

texasbumpkin
on 10/12/15 9:58 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Zinc has been shown to help with sleep. I take 400mg at night and it really helps. I would ask your surgeon first though before adding anything to your medication regimen before they are large capsules.

Most Active