day 8 and i cant keep anything down!

giselle123
on 10/2/15 3:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I had vertical sleeve last thursday and i have been struggling the last 2 days with keeping anything down. water makes me nauseous, popsicles make me nauseous, i have incredible heartburn regardless of what i eat and im so hungry! what do i do? is this normal? just saw my surgeon today for a one week follow up and everything went well. Im just so hungry and tried to eat some cottage cheese and still barfed....can i have some soup later? Why does water make me sick? im thirsty too! is this normal? will it go away?

Kerrilp37
on 10/2/15 5:32 pm

I'm still 11 days pre op but what your describing sounds like an acid problem! Try a liquid antacid or a natural remedy like Aloe Vera (get it in liquid form at a health food store) or some ginger tea.

I'm no doctor but its worth a try!

hollykim
on 10/2/15 5:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 2, 2015 at 10:24 PM Pacific Time, giselle123 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I had vertical sleeve last thursday and i have been struggling the last 2 days with keeping anything down. water makes me nauseous, popsicles make me nauseous, i have incredible heartburn regardless of what i eat and im so hungry! what do i do? is this normal? just saw my surgeon today for a one week follow up and everything went well. Im just so hungry and tried to eat some cottage cheese and still barfed....can i have some soup later? Why does water make me sick? im thirsty too! is this normal? will it go away?

some ppl can't drink plain water immediately post op. Try putting some mil drops or some other flavoring in it.

Also,try different temperatures ,some ppl can only drink it room temp,some only ice cold.

Dehydration causes nausea. Did you mention all this to your surgeon? Are you taking something for the excess acid? It also causes nausea.

These things usually go away with time,but if you are really dehydrated,you may have to go in. For IV fluids to get on top of it.

yes,try broth later

Oneillch
on 10/2/15 5:42 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Did you tell your dr about the trouble you're having? If not, call & let him know & ask for a script for the nausea & heartburn. Taking them should help. Also try warm liquids, like decaf tea or broth or a pureed soup. As for plain water, it has always made me nauseous. Also, your body may be telling you it's not be ready for "full" liquids (you read the manual, but your new tummy didn't) so, for now, stay with what works. Feel better!

psychoticparrot
on 10/3/15 10:13 am

What Oneillch said. Call your surgeon. You need meds for reflux and nausea. Omeprazole and Zofran are prescription meds that almost literally saved my life post-op. You need to be able to drink liquids or dehydration will come aknockin' at your door.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

diane S.
on 10/3/15 11:18 pm

not normal. see your doctor asap. d

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

LisaKelley
on 10/4/15 6:44 am

I am on day 7.

I have trouble with water even from the beginning. I take an antacid. which helps a lot.

I am hungry also. crystal light is my first choice. works better.

when i was in the hospital. the chicken both worked out best for me. try the warm fluids.

LisaKelley
on 10/4/15 6:45 am

I am on day 7.

I have trouble with water even from the beginning. I take an antacid. which helps a lot.

I am hungry also. crystal light is my first choice. works better.

when i was in the hospital. the chicken both worked out best for me. try the warm fluids.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGoSSrA/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGoSSrA/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active