Eating out is a little anxiety producing!

Abby2015
on 10/1/15 5:41 am

We went there last night and I had a cup of chili.  I'm on the mushy phase still though (about to go to soft) and I didn't think I could handle eating steak.  

Surgery 9/9/15  SW 280/CW 263.8/GW 140

sleeve_scholar
on 10/1/15 6:04 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Most restaurants have grilled chicken/fish option that are good sources of protein and that should pretty much fill you up and provide the protein you need.

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -- Jim Rohn

iloveravens
on 10/1/15 7:03 am
RNY on 08/13/14

As someone who travels a lot, I thought eating out would be difficult.  It's a breeze.  I either have fresh fish (thank you, Boston), steak, chicken, and a veggie like green beans or a side salad.  In the beginning I did a lot of soups because it was easier on my stomach.  I rarely eat fruit other than a banana after a long run.  It will get so much easier, hang in there.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Hkinzfnp
on 10/1/15 8:39 am

I wish I would have seen the grilled shrimp appetizer, that would have been perfect!  I didn't eat the potatoes, not sure why I ordered them or thought I'd have the room!!

Thanks everyone!!

Karen D.
on 10/1/15 10:30 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I'm banded (looking to revise to the sleeve) and I have the same issue.  Eating out is never fun because I worry if I will be able to eat at all and if I do, I plan what I'll do in the event my food gets stuck and I have to go bring it back up!  Certainly takes the fun out of things.

Because of my issues we tend to not eat out, but when we have, like others, I try to order from the appetizers.  Sometimes they aren't very healthy either.  Applebees has meatballs and I ordered those one day, not bad and the waitress said to me, "you do realize there are only 2"..Yup, I know and that's enough for me. 

FuturePinUp
on 10/1/15 1:13 pm

I think the dealing with wait staff aspect of eating out is far worse for me than picking healthy options! I went to an English Pub last night and I ordered a French Onion soup (no croutons), and ONE scotch egg. The waitress was like "Umm...it's one egg." I told her that was perfect. I drank the soup broth, then ate the cheese topping, then was able to eat HALF of the egg, and asked for a doggie bag for that and my husband's leftovers. She looked at me like I was the biggest weirdo. Hahah.

I've also made the mistake of eating too much appetizer then literally not being able to touch my entree (even though it was also from the appetizer menu and tiny). I got the "Oh my God! Is there something wrong with your food?!" panic, only to sheepishly admit I was full, and just needed a box.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Karen D.
on 10/4/15 5:50 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I agree, the wait staff can be a challenge. They want you to be happy with your meal and when they see that I've really not touched it because it's not going down, they worry something is wrong. After my banding we went out for New Years dinner with family. I had a horrible stuck episode the night before and was really swollen, could only drink. I ordered soup and the waitress was so rude to me because I didn't order a full dinner like everyone else! To each his own I say!

pedirn06
on 10/1/15 8:20 pm
VSG on 01/26/12

steak-k-bob medium rare is my fav

pedirn06

i8it77
on 10/5/15 10:48 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

Glad I'm not the only one that stresses about this.. Roadhouse was my favorite place before surgery now It's hard cause I loved the rolls, and anything breaded. My husbands favorite is chinease buffet so I struggle there to, I eat only what is ok but then I am depressed cause I can't have the other. a abite or two of something I shouldn't and I feel terrible for rest of the day and day after...buuttttt how do I argue when weight is slowly coming off as compared to sneaking on

Most Active