Going from Lap-Band to Sleeve

PrincessMononoke
on 9/30/15 12:58 am

Hi everyone! I just recently hit my 6th year being banded; but I've sadly had a lot of problems the past few years. After much indecision, I've decided to switch to the sleeve. Is there anyone here like me? I'd love to meet anyone that has, or is going through similar experiences. For those who have only had the sleeve, what was healing like? How long before you were back to your usual routine?

Karen D.
on 9/30/15 2:44 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi!  I'm waiting for insurance approval to revise band to sleeve.  I've been having trouble for several years.  Finally an upper GI showed them what was going on.  I can't answer your questions just wanted to say hi.

Sephiroth
on 9/30/15 2:48 am

Hi Karen! It's nice to meet you! I also had an upper GI, and nothing really happened to the band itself, but they say my food is have problems going down. The result is when I try to sleep, I often cough all night from what is hanging around in my pouch. 

mmsmom
on 9/30/15 4:36 am - Woburn, MA

I was banded in 2007 - had initial success but then dr emptied band due to stomach virus and the refill never went right.  Tried for a year to make it right -couldn't get the sweet spot again.  Woke up all night choking on saliva, etc.  Band removed Feb 2014, sleeved end of April 2014.... All I can say is I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sleeve.  Never get stuck...can eat virtually anything in small quantities - and I can't/don't eat around the sleeve like you can with the band.  I am about 35 lbs lower with the sleeve than I could ever get with the band (at my best point).  I have no regrets.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Abby2015
on 9/30/15 8:04 am

I was banded in 2008 and I've been miserable with it the last few years.  I revised to sleeve on September 9th so it is only early days yet, but I feel so much better already.  

Surgery 9/9/15  SW 280/CW 263.8/GW 140

C J
on 9/30/15 10:39 am - , TN

I am in the process as well.  I have had my band out for a couple of years....It took me that long to recover both mentally and physically.  You will get a tremendous amount of help here.  Good luck!!!  I think we are making the right decision.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Sephiroth
on 9/30/15 3:24 pm

Hi guys! Thank you so much for the input! I think I'm more confident about my decision, now. You are all great, and really putting my nerves at ease!

donnamy3sons
on 9/30/15 10:17 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

wow you made it 6 years with the band, that is amazing....i too had the band placed feb 2010 did great lost 85lbs then got a "stomach bug" around jan 2011 and my band was never the same, endless unfills and refills over the next 2.5 years, severe GERD, vomiting all the time, even on slider foods, when I finally threw up my white flag and gave up on my band. they did and upper gi found nothing....i converted to sleeve aug 2013. guess what they found, hiatal hernia and tons of scar tissue around my band, liver and my port. I have loved my sleeve, wish I had of done it first:) I have not vomited since i converted to sleeve. I do still have occasional heartburn but it is controlled on meds. It took me a little longer to recover, I had horrible nausea that lasted almost 6 week off and on but it was so woth it....good luck 

Karen D.
on 10/4/15 5:57 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On October 1, 2015 at 5:17 AM Pacific Time, donnamy3sons wrote:

wow you made it 6 years with the band, that is amazing....i too had the band placed feb 2010 did great lost 85lbs then got a "stomach bug" around jan 2011 and my band was never the same, endless unfills and refills over the next 2.5 years, severe GERD, vomiting all the time, even on slider foods, when I finally threw up my white flag and gave up on my band. they did and upper gi found nothing....i converted to sleeve aug 2013. guess what they found, hiatal hernia and tons of scar tissue around my band, liver and my port. I have loved my sleeve, wish I had of done it first:) I have not vomited since i converted to sleeve. I do still have occasional heartburn but it is controlled on meds. It took me a little longer to recover, I had horrible nausea that lasted almost 6 week off and on but it was so woth it....good luck 

I've had probably 4 or 5 upper GI's and they never showed anything. Frustrating. This time I had a different radiologist and as simple as that test appears he nailed getting on screen, what I've been telling the NUT and Doctor for years. I'm hoping my insurance agrees to remove it and revise. I hear everyone feeling so much better after the sleeve. I got stuck on smooth soup yesterday! I would love the day to come when that doesn't happen.

Most Active