Finally onto full liquids

Sparkly609
on 9/23/15 1:03 pm

I am finally on full liquids and have been able to get some things down (couple sips of cream soup, sf pudding) but I am trying to get my premier protein shake down and I just don't know if I can ever do it.

i can only hold maybe a couple of sips of anything right now....before I start getting hot flashes. I don't throw up but def. feel like if I take one more sip I will. 

I am glad that I can get anything down other than water finally, but I wonder how long until I can hold more than a sip of something before  feeling like I am going to die. 

How am I supposed to get my protein in if I can't get it down? 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/23/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Many people don't get the full amount of protein in during the first few weeks, before you transition to "real" food. I added protein powder to soup and pudding, and I could barely gag any of it down. I had much better luck once I could have things like eggs and tunafish, and my surgeon said that was just fine.

If in doubt, call your doctor to double check, but it's common to have trouble getting much food down at first.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

murphyjo
on 9/23/15 8:18 pm

Focus on water...dehydration can get the best of you pretty fast.  Keep sipping on the protein. Fairlife milk has 13g of protein per cup, if that helps...the protein will come, stay hydrated!

psychoticparrot
on 9/23/15 8:53 pm

If a few sips make you feel sick, try just one sip every 5 minutes or so. It's a pain to drink liquids this way, but still better than feeling sick, and it's temporary, although I know from experience that "temporary" still seems like a long, long time when you're going through it.

As the others have already written, meeting your protein goals is not essential, and usually not even possible, at your stage of recovery. Water is the name of the game right now. Concentrate on that. Keep working at the protein shakes, but don't worry if you can't get much down. That will come later as you start feeling better.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active